Hannibal Navies | Main | Packers vs. Lions Preview

Pack Embarrased by Philly

The Packers' six game winning-streak came to a screeching halt on Sunday. In a highly anticipated match with the Eagles, the Packers put on their most embarassing performance of the year, and were destroyed 47-17. It's hard to pick a place to start demeaning the Packers play on Sunday, as they could not perform in any facet of the game. The defense showed their rookie weakness and the offense struggled like never before this season...

McNabb and the Eagles set several records on Sunday, one of which being a career high five touchdown passes by McNabb. The Packers knew they did not match up with the Philly offense in the secondary, and decided to play primarily zone defense to shut down the passing game. This is an especially hard defensive strategy to carry out, and it is clear that the Packers d-backs do not have the discipline to hold up against an efficient offense. McNabb had another Eagles first with 464 passing yards, and managed to complete his first fourteen passes. The Packers thin coverage allowed Philly's running back Brian Westbrook to match up one on one with safety Mark Roman on numerous occasions. This proved to be a favorable match up for Westbrook, who pulled in 11 catches for 156 yards, and three scores. This defensive performance does not bode well for the remainder of the Packers' season, and it is clear that changes need to be made. Above all, this game reiforced my hatred for Mike McKenzie.
On the offensive side of the ball, the Packers simply looked anemic. Brett Favre was not seeing the field as he usually does, and threw two ill-advised picks in the first half. These turnovers naturally led to points for the seemingly unstoppable Eagles, and appeared to deflate the entire Packers team. In addition to poor passing, the Packers' offensive line played their worst game of the season, allowing three sacks and countless hurries. Without his usual protection, Favre could not get comfortable in the pocket and did not seem himself. Running back Ahman Green never really got a chance to perform, as the early deficit forced the Packers to abandon their game plan and heave the ball over and over again. Favre's streak of consecutive games with a touchdown pass ended on Sunday as well. However, in true team-player fashion, Favre declined several chances to get that touchdown after the game was out of reach, and instead allowed back-up Craig Nall to get some playing time. If the Packers hope to realize their goal of play-off success (or even participation) they are going to have to perform at a much higher level for the remainder of the regular season. The NFC play-off hunt is simply too close for the Packers to slow down now. On the bright side, Green Bay's punter Brian Barker managed to make a tackle on a return by Wynn of Philadelphia. How many punters can say that this week?

Posted by abai0001 at December 6, 2004 1:52 PM | Game Summaries

I was quite happy with the results of this past Sunday in the NFL. Being a Bears fan, I watched them play the first game this season that they actually looked like a full team (offense and defense) against the Vikings. After they won that game I thought they would be helping the Pack out, maybe getting themselves a lead in first, but in the end the Bears only helped themselves. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks in the NFC North. All I know is the Bears looked good this last week and they only lost to the Eagles by 10, not 30. I would say there is a lot of trouble in Titletown right now. The Pack looked plain terrible on Sunday. After the events of this last Sunday, the Bears still have a chance at winning the division this season. That's if Urlacher can stay on the field.

Posted by: Dan at December 6, 2004 5:04 PM

While the Pack did look nothing short of pathetic on Sunday, I can't see the Bears having an impact in the NFC North. Chad Hutchinson played a hell of a game, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll repeat that performance every week. He doesn't have a solid recieving core to work with, or a running back to complement the passing game. No one can deny the impact that Urlacher has for the Bears, but I don't know if its going to be enough. Do you think the Bears will have to win out in order to win the division (or even make the playoffs)?

Posted by: Steve Abair at December 6, 2004 8:46 PM

Definitely if they want to win the division. It will also depend on what happens between the NFC North teams, each having to play eachother once more, excluding last weekends game in Chicago. Other than that they have similar schedules remaining. If Chicago's defense could keep getting teams to caugh up 3-5 turnovers a game and if Terrell could catch a couple of those passes that Hutchinson put right in his bread basket, then they could do it.

Posted by: Dan at December 6, 2004 9:41 PM

I also find it hard to believe that the Bears will find themselves winning the division. The two main contenders for the division are simply the Vikings and Packers. It will be one of these two teams that will come away with the division title. The bears step up for the first time this season against the Vikings, which seems to be a weekly occurrence for the Vikings. It seems to me that no matter whom they play the opposing team has a remarkable week. I feel that the Vikings as well as the Packers suffered their worst performances of the year this past weekend. However, I feel that next week both teams should prevail.

Posted by: Matt Borchert at December 7, 2004 1:08 PM

I got be honest here you didn't actually think that the packers were gonna beat Philly did you? Let me start off by saying that I'm not really a fan of any team inparticular, but kind of for the Viking because I live in minnesota and trust me I don't think the vikings can beat them either, its just that they got beat like they should've I think. Philly is just that much better.

Posted by: Scott at December 7, 2004 3:20 PM

To be honest, I believe that the Packers are capable of beating any team in the league. There are clearly some mismatches in the secondary against the Eagles, and those mismatches were exploited on Sunday. However, I would not be surprised at all to see the Packers' young cornerbacks step up and play at the necessary level for a win over the Eagles. That may just be my undying Packers pride talking, but I'm sure you've heard the term 'any given Sunday.'

Posted by: Steve Abair at December 7, 2004 3:30 PM

I agree with you Scott. The Pack should've gotten beat, but by 30 points? The Bears only lost by 10 earlier this season, holding the Eagles to 19 points. Almost 30 points less than the Pack gave up. Too bad at the time they had Jonathan Quinn as their QB. I think the Pack are at an alltime low right now; they got anhilated, Favre lost his streak, and they fired their defensive coordinator. I think it's even possible the Pack could lose out of this season.

Posted by: Dan at December 7, 2004 3:31 PM

Like Scott, I feel that the Packers should have lost to the Eagles, but not by 30 points. The Packers are definitely going through a rough time with all of the situations they are facing. However, they have too much talent to lose out of the season. That is hard to say being a Vikings fan but its true. I would like to know your views on week 14 against Detroit, will the pack rely on the rush or will they veer more towards the pass?

Posted by: Matt Borchert at December 9, 2004 10:54 AM

The Lions opponents have averaged over 120 yards rushing per game this season. With all of the Packers' top three running backs in good health, I would expect to see more run plays called than passes. Detroit's defensive tackle Shaun Rogers does a good job of plugging up the middle, so look for the Packers to bounce the ball outside the tackles. I would expect to see their U-71 package (6 offensive lineman, 2 wideouts, 1 tight end, and 1 running back) used frequently, especially for toss plays to the outside. I know the Packers won't want to put the game solely on Brett Favre's back, especially with Marion and Bly in the secondary.

Posted by: Steve Abair at December 9, 2004 1:55 PM

Surprisingly enough, I witnessed this game too, and it was quite interesting. I don't know that much about football but I really would have bet on Packers winning this game beforehand. Anyway, Steven, I know how much you love the Packers, sorry!

Posted by: Sylvie at December 9, 2004 5:56 PM

Posted by: sylvie at December 9, 2004 5:57 PM