sharper Speaks Out | Main | D Backs Hawkins and Freeman Manning Up

Walker/Sanity Return

Thank you Green Bay for maintaining integrity in the NFL! It has been reported that Javon Walker, Grady Jackson, and Cletidus Hunt all showed up for a mandatory player meeting earlier this week. This news marks the end of a holdout threat by these players. While the Packers' management has yet to formally dismiss the possibility of contract negotiations, GM Ted Thompson has stated that their position on renegotiation has not changed.

This comes as great news for Packers and Packer fans alike. Not only have these talented players returned to work to honor their contracts, but they have also relieved some harmful stress on the Packer nation. There have been numerous changes made in the Packers organization this season, from a new GM, to a new defensive coordinator, to the loss of several veterans, to the addition of a highly acclaimed rookie QB. It is clear that the Pack have enough issues to worry about, without having to waste time on innappropriate contract disputes.
While this news is clearly a step in the right direction, there is still work that needs to be done. While these players did not officially hold out, they did make their personal contract issues very public. Now these players have to regain their teammates trust in addition to gearing up for the season. Hopefully these players can leave their personal issues in the past and begin to concentrate on what is best for the team.
As far as winning back the fans goes, I think there is only one thing big Grady and Javon can or need to do. FIRE DREW ROSENHAUS! Walker has already made rosenhaus look foolish by completely disregarding his advice to not attend training camp. It's time for these players to take the next step and find themselves an agent with respect for the game of football. Kicking rosenhaus to the curb would immediately win back the hearts of the Packer nation. I know it would put a smile on my face for a good week.

Posted by abai0001 at July 29, 2005 1:43 PM | off-season

Thank goodness that Thompson did not buckle and give the cry babies and their demonic agent(s) what they wanted. When you make the decision to sign a document, you must abide by it's terms. That's only fair. Naturally, Brett was right all along on this issue. What a class act Mr. Favre is!

Otherwise... excellent blog! I just found it today, and I plan to return often. I've already got you linked on mine, Holstein Grove. Just one thing though... Shouldn't it be the '05 Packers Blog now? Maybe you're on top of this already. In any event, great read!

Posted by: John at August 14, 2005 9:32 PM

Thanks for the reminder John, I guess August is a little late to notice something like that. I appreciate you linking my blog on your page, but I'm having trouble getting to it. Just out of curiosity, how did you get to my blog?
Anyway, I just don't know about Javon these days. I heard on the news today that he got into a fight with Ahmad Carrol at practice. Sounds like he's still not over his hothead stage. This kind of behavior is detrimental to team chemistry, and Javon already has to play catch-up in terms of respect among teammates. When he was questioned on the matter after practice, he compared himself to T.O. and rifled off a few sit-ups. Oh yeah, it sounds like he's matured a lot ...

Posted by: Steve at August 15, 2005 1:47 PM

Steve,

I had some scripting problems with my template that were keeping the blog from viewing properly. They're fixed now. I haven't updated in some time, as I've been very busy balancing work and school. Regular posting will resume in around three weeks... Just in time for the regular season. If you visit my site, you'll find a lot of political stuff, so don't be too off-put by it just in case our views clash. In my book, you're a Packer Backer, which comes first. Anyway, I found you by googling "packers blogs".

About Javon, I just don't get him. He has a tremendous amount of talent and can help the Pack out tremendously if he puts some heart into it. However, if he's going to go around making a fool out of himslef and the Packers, than I'd just like to say so long. The reality is however, that we're gonna need him if we're gonna be in the playoffs. I just wish he would grow up. I'm so proud of Thompson and Sherman though for not giving into the rants and whimperings of Walker and the others like him. Why some guys act like that I will never know.

GO PACK!
-John

www.wisgrove98.blogspot.com

Posted by: John at August 15, 2005 9:19 PM