Moving on!

Here's what happened between last week and now:

-Got the housing situation down for the rest of august. Originally I was gonna live with JEF (in his living room!) until september when we can move to our new duplex, but then I talked to my good friend/racketball buddy/former calc prof - Paul Froeschl! That's right, I'm gonna take the guestroom at his place for 3 weeks, should be good times! Be sure to drop by and say hi at his Snelling house.

-Work. Things have been real good so far. I like pretty much everybody I work with...with the exception of one jerk. He's one of the most pretentious losers I've ever met, and most people in lab seem to agree as well. Unfortunately, we both share the same hood. Two weeks ago he spilled my product over the hood (#$#@%), and last week he flooded the hood overnight (#$%$@ @$^*!@). Talk about good vibes.

-Oh yeah, I'm taking next week off work. Since we start chem grad school orientation on the 22nd, I'm gonna take a well-deserved break for a week before that starts. No plans as of yet, but I'm sure it'll involve a bunch of clubbing and hanging out.

-Got a really crappy haircut earlier in the week. I went to my usual salon, which I like quite a lot, but then my hairdresser decided to let me try something new (for free) so she thought I might look nice with 'dark caramel' highlights. Ouch. The end result was so disastrous I immediately dyed my hair upon arriving home. Remind me not to try this again.

-Da Drink. This monday we made it at 8, meaning we took advantage of the happy hour deals for a good two hours....yeah. It seems that there's always a good bunch of Mac people going on mondays too, but pretty much no one of our original founding group. Sadness!

Alright, that's it for now. Last weekend was actually pretty nice, can't complain about it. Now I should go start packing 'cause we're moving tomorrow.

Posted by at 7:31 PM

Update

Yeah, so I realize it's been a while. The last couple of weeks have been kinda hectic, and if you wanna slack off the best time to do it is summer...so there.

Anyways, the best news is that earlier this week we finally figured out our housing situation for next year. I'll be living in a cozy and spacious duplex in the Holmes neighborhood (close to Dinkytown) with the crazy Norwegians, Jon Einar and Ole. Hahahah...I'm sure we'll have a blast living together. We got a pretty good deal on the house, it's close to the U and downtown (for all those clubbin' nights), and we all have pretty big bedrooms. The only thing that I still have to figure out is the furniture ...hmmm...might have to do a trip to IKEA by the end of August.

Monday nights are still some of the best. This last monday was one of the best Drink nights in a while - there were tons of Mac people, lots of chem people from work at the U, and plenty of gorgeous people (ahhhh). I drank and danced so much that I ended up blanking out after the bus ride home, and then I woke up the next day at 11 am. I was very late for work, but I'd do it again - hopefully next week!

That's about it. This weekend is shaping up to be quite an interesting one so I'm totally looking forward to it. Just two more days of work!

Posted by at 9:47 PM

Busy

I had forgotten how hard it was to look for houses. Since we can only stay at the Melrose place until August 12, there's not much time left before they kick us out. I think I saw about 5 houses this week - 2 were dumpsters, 2 were alright, and there was one that I really liked but there was a person who could call the room before me. Maybe I'll just decide for the place that's pretty decent, close and really cheap ($300/month plus utilities), although I could still check out some other places too. Whatever happens, soon I'll also have to search for mattresses, desks, etc. This is what happens when you live at the dorms for 4 years.

Oh yeah, so this week I finally had my first group presentation at work. It was grueling. My prof was so mean and exigent that at times I wanted to throw the marker at him. Overall though, it went very well. If only he wasn't so unnecessarily picky...but it's understandable, since he's like 80+ and has been around at the U for over 50 years (I know, isn't that crazy?).

We did a reasonable amount of clubbing this week. Monday at Drink (keeping up with the old tradition), Thursday we went out for Ai Li's 23rd birthday, Friday to the Aquatennial Block Party, and yesterday to a random frat party at the U. Since we were hanging out in downtown so much I decided to check out the Saloon on Thursday and the 90's on Friday as well, it had been a while since I went to those places. Loads of fun!

Quite a week. Now it's sunny out so I think I'll just go make use of it.

Posted by at 3:19 PM

Halfway through summer!

That's right, it's already mid July, which means that school will start in a month and a half. Crazyness! As much as I wanted to go to grad school, I really can't picture myself taking another year of classes. I'm burned out enough after 4 years already...but on the positive side, at least I'll be taking the organic chemistry classes that I like and not some random shitty supportive classes like math or physics (sorry to all those math and physics majors out there, but I just really didn't like those subjects).

It was a pretty good week althogether though. Work is going awesome and my reactions are all working fine, and there was enough clubbing and hanging around to keep me happy too. Speaking of clubbing, yesterday we checked out the new uptown Drink, which just opened this week. It's pretty nice and bigger than the one in downtown, although they should seriously consider making their drinks cheaper and stronger (they ripped me off with a $7 watered-down long island).

Yesterday me, Rehan, Ole and Christina also went out to a lake with a small beach. It was fun times and the weather was great, although the strong sun was too much for 'el numero uno' who ended up fleeing in retreat and into the shade.

Being there made me think how it's been years that I haven't been to a (real) beach. It's been so long I can't even remember! I suppose that's what living in landlocked countries does to you. It also made me realize that I probably need another swimsuit...do I hear a second trip to MOA for next week?

Posted by at 2:06 PM

MOA and Smash

Thank goodness for the long weekend. Friday started off good - got a bunch done at work, and then managed to beat Froeschl for the second time ever in a racketball game (yeah, we still do play racketball together, he's a pretty nice guy!). Then yesterday was even better. Finally went back to the Mall after months of being missing in action and did a massive summer shopping spree. I went with some coworkers from lab, and it was a lot of fun. After coming back, we drank a bit and played Smash for a long, long time...until 5:30 AM. Gosh, it's been since high school in Paraguay that I haven't pulled one of those videogame all-nighters. I think I might be slowly returning to my gaming roots...those days when videogames dominated my time and energy...but it's summer so it's all good.

Today I'll go to Taste of Minnesota. Those fairs are always fun, except they'd be even better if they didn't try to f%^#! rip you off. Who's ever heard of a $6 crappy lemonade or a $10 slice of junk pizza? Anyways, maybe I'll stick around long enough to see the fireworks, or maybe I'll leave a bit early and go to the 90's. Whatever it is, I'm just glad I'll be able to sleep in the day after. Then there's my first group presentation on tuesday, so I had better prepare.

Posted by at 2:39 PM

Wet...and Drink-less

Such a rainy day...today when I was walking to work after lunch it started to rain like crazy and by the time I arrived to my building I was completely soaked. That just totally got me ready for the 4-hour long &#$@$ distillation I had to carry this afternoon... ...and it was the same rain that blew into a huge storm that kept me from going to Drink tonight. That's right, we missed it for the first time in a month. Sadness.

Thinking back to a couple of things, I realized I can have a mean cavalier attitude every now and then. Even if I tried, there's nothing I can do about it when it comes to certain things. But everything's for a reason right?

Anyways, the week ahead looks to be relatively uneventful. Hopefully something unexpected will happen to keep things interesting. We'll see.

Posted by at 9:40 PM

Fun times

The weekend's off to a great start. Yesterday we checked out Sargeant's and Sally's, and ended up having more beer than I could've asked for (since both places had decent happy hour deals). Woke up the next morning not so refreshed...

...And a couple of hours later me, Ai Li, Artemis and Jon Einar went to the Pride Festival at Loring Park. It's the second time I've been to the festival, and I think I liked this year's better than last's. It was packed with a ton of people, there were lots of crazy booths and the weather was nice. We also run into a bunch of Mac people and friends from around. We ended up staying for several hours.

1a37.jpg

Macalester also had a booth this year. We checked it out and took some pictures. This one might actually make it on The Today. Seriously!

6c5a.JPG

Here's the last picture we took, right before we left. Still don't know what's happening tonight, so we might just chill like the good old times.

Tomorrow I'll go to the pride parade for a bit, before going back to the festival and taking care of the Mac booth for a couple of hours. Then there's the block party, which I might end up going, and after that the second Smash marathon is waiting for me later on in the evening. Hopefully we won't stay up until so late like last time, because there's work the day after!

Posted by at 6:38 PM

Yeah...

So today I came back from work at around 7:30...it was a very long day, to say the least, but I did get a bunch of things accomplished. It's the third week of work and I've gotten a good progress, but I feel like I need to do more stuff since a group report on what I'm doing is coming up in the not so distant future...

Last weekend was a lot of fun, by the way. Spent it all chilling and going out, this time we checked out Sally's on Friday and Loring Pasta Bar on Saturday, and they were alright. Then on Sunday I brought a friend from work and we went on a 5 hour (!) videogame marathon until 2:30 AM. Hell yeah!

Yesterday as usual we went to Drink the bar. I think I've gone there every Monday since graduation - who can really say no to $1 Newcastles and Coronas? Summer is good.

Posted by at 9:28 PM