Highway 169 Opened Back Up Ahead of Schedule

By Octavio Abea

Drivers might feel some relief swith Highway 169 reopened ahead of schedule in both directions Sunday along with all of the loops and ramps connecting it to I-494, according to Minnesota Department of Transportation.

The highway has been closed since Feb. 17 so that crews could place beams for a new bridge reaching from westbound I-494 to southbound Highway 169, the Star Tribune reports.

Unusually nice weather conditions as well as some other good conditions resulted in an early reopening, the Star Tribune reports.

Once the reconstruction project is complete the current express way will be the new freeway by rebuilding the interchange between Highway 169 and I-494 with six ramps instead of eight, Kare 11 reports.

The new design allows for the removal of traffic signals, reduced congestion, and improved safety, Kare 11 reports.