KAHN VS. GERSHENFELD

As I finished reading these article I quickly realized the sole similarity that both of these were talking about: education. As I read Gershenfeld's article, I noticed that all of the inventions that he was talking about were linked to education because to create this such things, one must study and learn how to build them and why. Gershenfeld talked about his personal opinion on class structure. He believed that there shouln't be any organization, which would allow the students to interact in a more casual environment.

On the other hand Kahn disagrees with Gershenfeld's idea of a disorganized classroom. Kahn believes that the learning institutions should use student's potential to the highest degree. And also that these same institutions should not focus on money or financial issue because it takes the focus away from the most important goal, which is to teach the students the best of best.

If I had to agree with someone, I would take the positve sides of both of these authors, and merge them together because I believe that both have interesting points of views,a nd both could work in different situations.

Mother of all Blogs

TECHNOPOLIS

By breaking the word technopolis, we have "techno" which derives from technology and "polis" which comes from the greek city or community. If you put these two together, you have the idea of a city or community revolving around technology. I have provided two examples that will further explain my understanding on this.

1. M.I.T. ( Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

This is a community that is involved and oriented on the research and development of technology in our world today. People that come to this institute are interested in learning about the involvement of technology in our world and how it can bettered through technological advances.

MIT25.jpg
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

it3.jpg
This is an MIT student. As you can clearly see he has filled his life with technology.

2. Middlebrook's 5th floor

For all of you unlucky souls that don't live in middlebrook (west bank dorm) i'll give a quick summary of how the floors are separated. There are 12 floors and each floor is divided by major, or interest. For example, I live on the 12th floor a.k.a the penthouse ( the best floor EVER!) and along with the 11th floor it makes the "West Bank Art House". My example relates to the 5th floor, this is the IT (Intitute of Technology) floor. The 5th floor, just like MIT, revolves around technology.

DSC03842.jpg

As you can see here, the IT or 5th floor a.k.a. the floor you go to when you have computer problems, is working hard on their engineering homework that deals with quantum physics and thermodynamics. ~Notice the guy on the far right chugging orange juice, they did an experiment that if you start feeling a cold coming on you must drink 2 gallons of orange juice to balance the vitamin C in your body to help antibodies kill the virus.~

DSC03845.jpg

TECHNOLOGY AND NATURE

As Lance Lavine stated in his lecture, humans want to be close to nature, and feel a desire to connect with it through their technological advances. Such is the example of the window, and how humans created such invention to keep incontact with the world outside. Even though we still want to obtain technological advances, we want to connect with our primitive past to keep us aware of all we have achieved.

hut-window.jpg

Other examples that deal with this idea, would be Microsoft Windows. This is a gateway of knowledge that allows us to expand our minds with different views of the world.

Windows-95-Packshot.jpg

Design and math

1. ARITHMETIC SEQUENCES

A following of one thing after another; succession.
an = a1 + (n - 1)d

Pisa Varied Columns.jpg

These columns are assembled in a sequence in each floor to support the floor above.

columns-13b.jpg

2. PARABOLAS
y=x^2

pic1.jpg

Parabolas

arches2.jpg

The McDonlad's symbol is well-known as two upside down parabolas, which create an M

SL_2DGatewayArch_small.jpg

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis, MO. uses an upside down parabola to create a sence of a "gateway" or door to the west

3. GEOMETRIC SHAPES

images.jpg

Pyramids show us the use of the triangle in a 3-D form. This specific pyramids also show a sequence of 3

epcot-1.jpg

Epcot center shows the use of a sphere as a design method

4. CALCULATING SPACE AND TIME

Chichen Itza During the Equinox, Photo Copyright 1999 by Barry Hood.jpg

This is Chichen itza in the Yucatan Peninsula in mexico. On both Equinoxes, the serpent is shown due to the correct placement of the sun. If you cannot tell, the serpent's head is on the bottom of the pyramid and the serpent is moving down.

Oppositions

"We all die." She says,"The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

4. Oppositions of permanence and entropy

It is time and timelessness in the physical realm or to have a visionary, imagianry,or fictional idea.

Duration of Construction and the Lifespan of Architecture

How someone could create something that would still be remembered when he/she died.

Resolution-Let the opposition sculpt the form
Solution-Antonioi Gaudi

Even though Gaudi has been dead for many years, his legacy is still with us today due to his amazing creations in the architecture field. One of his many creations that he left is the Church of "La Sagrada Familia". This invention has been under construction for more than 100 years, and it is still not done. Due to the intrecasy and the detail of his work, the church is a magnificent representation of how much Spaniards respect the catholic church.
This is a solution to the opposition because it recognizes the opposition or the problem and works with itby letting the problem shape the solution.
019 - Sagrada Familia - Gaudi side.jpg
sagrada-familia-04-1_jpg.jpg
sagradafamilia.jpg

frameworks, clockworks and phenomena

A tree

Framework:
the different shapes and sizes of the trees
the different shapes and sizes the fruit of the tree.
images-3.jpg
images-2.jpg

Clockworks:
life cycle of the tree
from the time that the seed is planted to growing into a small branch, and then completing it's cycle by giving fruit.

another clockwork could be the seasonal changes that the tree goes through every year. from shedding it's leaves in fall, and then growing them back in the spring along with fruit.
bioraznolikost_en.jpg

Phenomena:
the color or shade of the leaves. you will never know nor predict what hue the leaves will have
the color or shade of the fruit
the shape the branches will take
images-1.jpg
images.jpg

My Genius Loci

Genius Loci: In Roman mythology, it was the protective spirit of a place. It was often depicted as a snake. In contemporary usage, "genius loci" usually refers to a location's distinctive atmosphere, or a "spirit of place", rather than necessarily a guardian spirit.
Usage: "Light reveals the genius loci of a place."

As I read the article of Gunius Loci, I started to think about my own place and how it realated to this theory. I decided that my genius loci space is the family room of my house in Edina, MN. Why? Well, first of all there is a big screen TV! need I say more. No, the real reason is because it is where all my family gathers on Sunday night. Every time I walk into that room I am reminded of all the good times I have spent there. As the definition I have posted above, Genius Loci is the spirit of the place or the atmosphere, and my family room has a friendly, cozy and comfortable feel and atmosphere.
The lighting is also very important. There is a wood-burning fireplace which my family lights every sunday night in the winters. This creates a warm and inviting atmosphere which enhances the Genius Loci.I sometimes do homework in the family room. It is a very relaxing place, and it helps me concentrate.

Work cited
http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/ph_tockenham.htm

Design Issue

Design Problem: Social Status
make-poverty-history-1.jpg

The Design Problem I have chosen is a very general and old issue that has been bothering human civilization since the beginning. I am talking about the differences between social status in our society.
Why are some people born into rich families and given everything they ask for without doing any major work, and others have to slave themselves for hours on end to receive almost nothing in return?
This question has always haunted my thoughts on our societies structure. The unfairness of this question is the main issue that I would like to abolish once and for all!
When you look at the world and about half of it ( that's apprx. 3 billion people) lives on less than two dollars a day, you begin to take into account how much we take for granted. Considering our average tall spice pumkin frappucino ( my favorite) from Starbucks costs $3.17, you start to imagine what a poor family in asia could do with the three dollars and change you just wasted on a drink that will be gone in 5 minutes.
The facts that I have researched in the internet have motivated me into helping make the world a more peacefull and fair place.

*Children in China start working at 5 years old. They are wanted for their small hands!

*The GDP( Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations is less than the wealth of the worlds richest people combined

*Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
Less than one percent of what the world spent on weapons was needed to put every child in school in the year 2000.

*The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any indutrialized nation.

*Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.

*48 of the poorest nations account for less than 0.4 % of global exports.

I will help out with this issue by going to a soup kitchen in MInneapolis, and helping out with the distribution of food. I will update my blog wth some pictures.
images-5.jpg
images-4.jpg

Midtown Market

When I went to the Midtown Market this weekend, I was amazed by the different cultures in such a small place. The Mexicans next to the Greeks, and the Chinese next to the americans. This place made me think about how this small market is the blueprint for a better world. If we all come together and share our cultures with everyone, maybe we wouldn't be out there killing and destroying other communities just because they don't agree with us.
I found the energy in this place to be quite vibrant. I went at lunch time so there we lots of people everywhere. I decided to have mexican food, because since i've tasted real mexican food before, I wanted to experience the authenticity. It was as close as they could get with the ingredients they had, but over all it definetly hit he spot!
After lunch I decided to take a stroll throught the whole market and notice details I hadn't when I came in. The lighting in this place is very "sun-like". I think they wanted to get a sense of an outdoor market, indoors. I love the exposed ceiling, it's very industrial, and clashes very well with the old-town plaza vibe the place emits. All of the stands are colorful in their own right. The mexican candy stand succeeds in their goal of atracting as many children as possible. It is filled with different types of mexican and no-mexican candy that catch your eye as you walk by.
I absolutely enjoyed all that this market had to offer, the food, the people, the different cultures. I would definetly go there again, but maybe not right at luch time!