« Midtown Market | Main | My Genius Loci »

Design Issue

Design Problem: Social Status
make-poverty-history-1.jpg

The Design Problem I have chosen is a very general and old issue that has been bothering human civilization since the beginning. I am talking about the differences between social status in our society.
Why are some people born into rich families and given everything they ask for without doing any major work, and others have to slave themselves for hours on end to receive almost nothing in return?
This question has always haunted my thoughts on our societies structure. The unfairness of this question is the main issue that I would like to abolish once and for all!
When you look at the world and about half of it ( that's apprx. 3 billion people) lives on less than two dollars a day, you begin to take into account how much we take for granted. Considering our average tall spice pumkin frappucino ( my favorite) from Starbucks costs $3.17, you start to imagine what a poor family in asia could do with the three dollars and change you just wasted on a drink that will be gone in 5 minutes.
The facts that I have researched in the internet have motivated me into helping make the world a more peacefull and fair place.

*Children in China start working at 5 years old. They are wanted for their small hands!

*The GDP( Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations is less than the wealth of the worlds richest people combined

*Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
Less than one percent of what the world spent on weapons was needed to put every child in school in the year 2000.

*The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any indutrialized nation.

*Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.

*48 of the poorest nations account for less than 0.4 % of global exports.

I will help out with this issue by going to a soup kitchen in MInneapolis, and helping out with the distribution of food. I will update my blog wth some pictures.
images-5.jpg
images-4.jpg