« Design Issue | Main | frameworks, clockworks and phenomena »

My Genius Loci

Genius Loci: In Roman mythology, it was the protective spirit of a place. It was often depicted as a snake. In contemporary usage, "genius loci" usually refers to a location's distinctive atmosphere, or a "spirit of place", rather than necessarily a guardian spirit.
Usage: "Light reveals the genius loci of a place."

As I read the article of Gunius Loci, I started to think about my own place and how it realated to this theory. I decided that my genius loci space is the family room of my house in Edina, MN. Why? Well, first of all there is a big screen TV! need I say more. No, the real reason is because it is where all my family gathers on Sunday night. Every time I walk into that room I am reminded of all the good times I have spent there. As the definition I have posted above, Genius Loci is the spirit of the place or the atmosphere, and my family room has a friendly, cozy and comfortable feel and atmosphere.
The lighting is also very important. There is a wood-burning fireplace which my family lights every sunday night in the winters. This creates a warm and inviting atmosphere which enhances the Genius Loci.I sometimes do homework in the family room. It is a very relaxing place, and it helps me concentrate.

Work cited
http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/ph_tockenham.htm

awesome start!
The citations are great.
I also appreciate your statistics, as they serve to lend meat to support of your point.

The "living wage" situation is
a disadvantaged household is defined as one that pays more than half their salary on rent/housing costs. Providing affordable, energy efficient housing is a clear way that architects can help mitigate this issue! Participation in zoning legislation and politics will also help, as restructuring laws can assist those working to raise their living conditions

a couple recommendations:
- check spelling prior to posting (you can compose in a word document and run a spell check, then copy- clip the text into the entry
- start adding photos! check out my blog for some tips on how to set that up!