Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellows
Application Instructions for 2012-2013
Preliminary applications to the IAS due: Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Applicants for the Graduate School's Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship are required to include a letter of support from the center or institute's director in their application. In order to be considered for a letter of support from the IAS, you must submit an application directly to the IAS by January 18, 2012.
Your application should consist of the entire application packet required by the Graduate School, minus the letter of support from the IAS director, as follows:
1) The Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship application form (available at
2) A three-page statement (double-spaced, 12 point type, margins not less than one inch), written by the student, that:
* describes the proposed interdisciplinary research or scholarly project
* explains how the student's scholarship will benefit from residence at the IAS
3) The student's c.v. that includes documentation of the student's involvement in, or contributions to, research, scholarly or creative activities.
4) Letter(s) of support from the faculty member(s) at the selected research center or institute with whom the student plans to study.
5) A letter of support from the student's academic adviser/co-advisers.
6) A letter of support from the Director of Graduate Studies of the student's major program.
7) Transcripts from each college or university attended.
8) An up-to-date copy of the official degree program form, if the student has filed it.
Applications must be submitted via email. Submit all of the above as a SINGLE attached PDF to email@example.com by midnight Wednesday, January 18, 2011. Please include "Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship" in the subject line.
The IAS will make its review and notify applicants of decisions by January 27. The IAS will supply a completed PDF application, including the letter of support from IAS Director Ann Waltner, to successful applicants in advance of the Graduate School's February 1 deadline.
For questions, please contact Susannah Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org