Morris Admissions Blog

DONE!!!

KKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Just a few hours ago, I finished my final paper for the year and now I'm done! I can't believe the school year is over. No more finals, no more projects, no more all-nighters in the darkroom developing photos, no more Taekwondo practices. Its been pretty crazy this year. but I'm going to miss it. :(

Tomorrow I'll be packing and hopefully getting some yummy Don's toast then its helping with graduation on Saturday. But for tonight i'm going to be hanging out with friends and enjoying yummy brownies. Chocolate makes everything better! Then its home just in time for my hometown's annual Norwegian festival, Syttendae Mai (Norwegian Independence Day). Already the summer is starting out pretty awesome.
KIIIIYAAAAHHH!!
~NINJA~
index.jpg

AHHH.. and its done!

So Dance Ensemble is done, HURRAY!
this years show was so well organized, everyone was really impressed by all the good dances people had worked on for the whole semester. We had a total of 28 dances, ranging from hip-hop, ballet, modern, lyrical, musical, high kick, and many more other dances. Some dances were focused on bringing cultural diversity to Morris, and some dances brought excitement and the wow factor to the Audience. Lots of good compliments, tears, smiles, thumbs up and EXCITEMENT!
I was personally told by at least twelve people how the boys stole the show.
230067_127855087290182_111451178930573_185512_5099216_n.jpg
I felt proud because I was one of the dancers, and I was glad because we did some hard work to get it all done, and I was glad we finished it right in time. AND IF YOU MISSED IT, I HAVE TO SAY YOU MISSED ONE AWESOME SHOW.

anyways, now that it is done, I have to get back into the grid of the school, and having only two more weeks left on my hand I have so many papers and other stuff that I need to finish.
This is how I feel about Finals week... 992kz3quvy.jpg
This is It is almost Impossible to even take this into account that I am going to be done with Junior year this Month, actually in two weeks, and then summer is right around the corner, which I am excited about but just not quite ready to be a senior yet.

Epic Photography!

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Just ignore the crazy person with the camera-that'd be me. I've got until this Wednesday to complete some major photo assignments for my photography class. So until that time I'm going into overdrive to get that and all my research papers done before the deadline (this Thursday) ! in addition to preparing for my and other club members' belt promotional exam. If your visiting campus this weekend for Dance Ensemble or decided belatedly to join the massive Zombies vs. Humans tag game be prepared to see a ninja stealthily moving about campus with her trusty ancient (it requires film!) camera. One assignment I'm going to be working on is a photo story of one the greatest battles of all time-the Ninja vs. Pirate. Its going to be EPIC!!!!

ninja photo.jpg

Luckily, I've the entire weekend to work on that stuff excluding the time I spend at Fight Club, watching Dance Ensemble or in Taekwondo practice which why I'm allowing myself to procrastinate a little longer on the big stuff and go enjoy the final Open Mic Night of the year. One last time to see Donald's comedic routine, music, and everything in between!! Yay!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH
P.S. UMM is amazing as its finally warm and sunny outside-no more winter!sunshine.jpg

its already time.. its here.. oh it Dance Ensemble weekend, already?

ahh I remember not to long ago, I took the decision to be involved in Dance Ensemble, I got into 4 and I decided I would totally be able to do Dance Ensemble, 20 Credits and other Leadership Activities, Pshhh.. no big deal, but I know now that it was a really bad idea to do all that.. I am glad though, after this weekend, I am going to have so much free time... everyone who is reading this should come out this weekend and support Dance Ensemble though, it will be a great show, there are going to 28 Dances this semester, and all of them look really really promising to satisfy all of you. 5197152627_1a0f0aa220.jpg
on a Different note, I am only left with one more week of School after next week, so I am super pumped to get involved more on campus and do some activities such as go to the gym and work more, and have time to hang out with friends.
summer_clip_art_02.jpg
So excited for the summer, it is going to be a great summer because I am going to have all this time, and a job, a great mentor ship program and free time, no homework. It will be a great summer, I hope everyone reading this has some great Summer plans for the coming summer because we have only couple weeks till its officially supposed to be hot outside ( I dont know if that is really going to happen or not?).

HuZzah!

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

There's about 2 weeks left in the semester and finals/final projects are going to be due shortly. YIKES!!! However, since I have no pressing deadlines (meaning that I don't have anything due within the next 24 hours) there is still plenty of time to procrastinate or be in denial. To start off the weekend right the UMMYs, the student film festival premieres tomorrow. Then on Saturday there is Play-in-a-Day, a fine art opportunity guaranteed to entertain and puzzle you. For me this weekend is going to spent working on my photography projects and my research papers but I definately plan to take a break for the UMMYs and Play-in-a day. And oh maybe make some cookies or something equally yummy.

But the best part is yet to come...this Monday the Zombie vs. Humans war begins again (imagine a campus-wide game of hide & go seek tag) its a really awesome way to improve thy ninja skills whether your avoiding being turned by zombies or pelted by socks.

~NINJA

National Collegiate Taekwondo Competition

KKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Last Thursday morning I and 3 other UMM Taekwondo Club members left for Davis, California to compete in the National Collegiate Taekwondo Competition. We competed against 80 other colleges from all over the U.S. in forms and sparring. On April 9th, UMM yellow belts: junior Eric Nielsen and sophomore Drew Rankin competed in yellow belt forms and sparring with Eric's match ending in overtime. Yellow belt sophomore Josh Fischer placed 3rd in his sparring division. I placed 2nd in blue-belt forms doing Taeguk 6 against a blue-belt from Harvard.

NCTC logo.jpg

Besides the competition we learned several new techniques and lessons from watching other sparring and form matches over the weekend. For example, if you slip while sparring its a really good idea to throw a roundhouse kick as you fall or that judges' prefer slow but crisp motion for forms. We also had the opportunity to meet the founder/president, Dr. Ken Min of the NCTA and other important NCTA officers.

However, our group's best discovery was this little Davis restaurant called the Dumpling House/Fish & Chips. I'm not quite sure how they decided on particular combination of food genres but it works. They make the best homemade dumplings! Plus they are really close to an awesome gelato shop that makes yummy lychee gelato!!! yummy!
lychee gelato.jpg

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
~Ninja~
group2fight.JPG

Oh Weather, make up your mind already!

1206565706595088919Anonymous_simple_weather_symbols_13.svg.med.png
So after a Wonderful week of being fantastic almost 70 degree weather, be are back to 40's and it might snow again this weekend. Sad, but true.
On another positive note, Morris is the place to be this weekend.. there is Fashion Trashion this weekend, where art students dig out trash bags, cans and dumpsters, go through all the trash they can find, make costumes and wear them and show them off on the runway.
195937_10150237349459408_767849407_9295194_7989049_n.jpg
There is also a Sign Language Concert this weekend, where students in the Sign Language class are required to sign to a song, this concert is free, and I am actually one of the performers, so I am kinda nervous and excited for the Concert.
concert4.jpg
Some other things that are going on this weekend are Undergraduate Research Symposium, Rooney Concert, Relay for life, and the UMM Theater department is presenting "Sophie and the Adventures of Ice Island."
So like I said Morris is the place to be this weekend, no matter rain or snow this weekend is going to be one crazy busy weekend... and to top it all off I still have lots of pending homework to be done. So if I survive I will definitely blog again till then... Have a good one.

SUMMAaaH!

YAY for spring..hello-spring.jpg
for those of you who have spring allergies like me... I am sorry, but I am so excited, that today I walked around in shorts and a tee, and biked to home and back and it was fantastic, I love not winter days! :)
and it also tells me that Summer is coming and actually its coming up pretty fast.. there are only 4 weeks of school left and I am really really stressed out about Finals, but I know everything in the end will work out. I just keep reminding myself to take one thing at a time, and everything will work out. This week has been crazy, being an OTF (Orientation Task Force) we decided on next years OGL's (Orientation Group Leader's) and it was great to do interviews but I am definitely lacking sleep from all the homework choreographing and everything else that needs to be done before the school year is done.
summer01.gif
I am so excited for it to be summer, I am actually going to be living in Morris this summer and going to be working in Admissions, and I also got selected as a GATEWAY MENTOR, so I will be helping future students get acquainted to Morris life and helping them get used to Morris curriculum.

Taekwondo Nationals

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYASSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Once again I am cramming to meet deadlines, I have less than 24 hours to study for a Renaissance and Reformation exam, write the initial draft of my research paper, and other last minute paperwork. Then I am off to California for the Collegiate National Taekwondo Tournament in Davis, California until Monday.
california.jpg

4 UMM students (Yellow belts: Eric Nielsen, Drew Rankin, and Joshua Fischer & blue belt: Mandy-Ninja Cornell) plus our instructor, These UMM students will be making UMM history as they are the first UMM students to compete in this Taekwondo National Tournament as representatives/competitors from the UMM. Professor Kevin Stefanek will be going. Three will be competing in yellow-belt sparring and all will be competing in Poomse (forms) with other competitors from all over the nation.

sparring.jpg

Seeya next week,
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!
~NINJA~
P.S. If your in Morris checkout the Harlem Globetrotters this Thursday at 7pm and the Jazz Fest this weekend!

HUZZAH SUMMER JOB!

kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I am super excited! I've been filling out job applications every chance I've gotten since February and its paid off! I'm going to working through the University of Minnesota Extension Office in Renville county as a 4-H summer intern. I was a long time 4-H member before graduating from the program so I'm super excited to be able to work for this organization. 4h_clover.JPG

4h_clover.JPG
Secondly on Wednesday there was a freak blizzard that canceled all my classes so that I had time to have some R&R before starting my paper.

Last but certainly not least there is a lot of fun stuff going on campus this weekend such as the Drag Show and a dance both sponsored by E-Quality. The Prairie Literary Gate Festival is the other hot-spot to be at this weekend. But as for me-I'll be going to visit a friend in Duluth and doing some photography on the side. Hopefully there won't be any more blizzards-keep your fingers crossed!!!

Ciao!
~Ninja
sun snow.jpg

Minnesota Tour

Well it had to happen sooner or later. Class is back in session and I'm back here at work. Speaking of work I have been applying for internships like mad lately. I've even had quite a few interviews so far. I'm pretty nervous about all of the possible opportunities.
The other thing keeping me busy is the Minnesota Tour for the choir. We are going to Alexandria tomorrow and will be in the Twin Cities area over Friday and this weekend. We have over 15 songs to sing for the tour. That is quite a bit of memorization. It should be fun though. I've also been assigned a new job for said tour. I am in charge of group B for setting up. Oh boy.
Classes being back in session is pretty nice though. I like to see all my college friends and professors. The break was really nice though. I got to relax just about every day and I also got to eat all sorts of good food, since I wasn't the one cooking :D St. Patrick's day was also nice. I got to spend it with my girlfriend and her family. With all that fun I still had a little bit of homework to do. I found out that I was wrong on the due date for one of my assignments. I had to watch a movie called The Elephant Man. It is about a man with tumors on his head which caused him to have a very disfigured face. The story was mainly about how he went from being a freak-show to some one who was a member of society and not ruled by a "master" who only uses him because he makes him money. The assignment wasn't just to watch that movie though. I had to write a 1000 word response to it. That was the real fun part. (sarcasm) I did enjoy the movie and it did portray a very powerful message, which was not to use people as a means only. The assignment itself was for my intro to ethics course.
Yet another thing that is on my plate of things to do is to register for next semester. Even though it may be very far away we still register early. I've got all my classes picked out but it should be very interesting. I've got 3 computer science classes so that should be difficult but worth it. Other than that I have things to do so I better get going.
- Catch Ya Later

ITS SPRING BREAK!

Woha! well the semester is half way DONE!?!?

it feels weird to day that I am no longer going to be a junior at the end of this semester and I will be graduating next year, at around this time I would probably be working on my senior seminar next year... 373488349v3_480x480_Front.jpg
but enough of being sad, right now I am just going to look at the great experience I am going to have and all the fun filled experience I am going to gain this SPRING BREAK! like I had mentioned before I am going to the STLF trip which is Students Today Leaders Forever Tour, we will be going to couple places in South Dakota and couple places in Denver. STLF Logo.jpg
This tour is a pay it forward tour where you get to do many learning projects when you are on the road. The best part is that I am going to be couple of my favorite friends while I am on this trip, some people go to home and just rest and all that I am going to have no homework, and nothing else but just lots of fun with my close friends and get to know couple other people while we are out and about not having to worry about getting homework finished or getting ready for an exam and such.
A WEEK OF FUN STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT!

Spring Break Come SOON!!!

Sorry for not blogging last week I was sick but Ahh Spring Break is almost here!!! I can't wait. I've got so much time to waste sleeping and being all around lazy. The week leading up to spring break of course has got to be stressful. I've got an exam tomorrow and a paper due on Thursday. Now that is not a ton of stress but it is some none the least. I did luck out and had a class canceled for the entire week. That is keeping me happy this week rather than constantly wishing it was Friday. I must still say that I'm very excited for the week to be over. The other thing that Spring Break signifies is that the semester is half over. I only have one more half a semester till I'm a full fledged senior. Talk about nerve racking. I'm not really sure how next year will be but that is another story for another entry.
Now the real question for today is what should I do over Spring Break? I know that Thursday is St. Patrick's Day and I already know what that day is going to be like, but the rest of the week is still a mystery.
Question_mark_3d.png

Some suggestions would be very welcome. The problem with trying to plan for Spring Break for some college students, myself included, is that paying for trips and things like that is out of the question. I'm poor and that's the truth. I pay for my schooling, food, and living expenses. The idea of a trip just costs too much. Now there are probably other things I can do like relax go, go for long walks, or hang out with other people still in town. Now I would like to hear some ideas of what could be done over the break. I think I will leave it at that. I will be back after break with another entry.
- Catch Ya Later

Almost there!!!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I can hardly wait!!!! There are only 4 more class days until spring break!!! Huzzah!!! I can't wait to be able to sleep in and not worry about completing any essays, study for tests, going to practice, and have some home-cooking again.I can't wait to see my dogs and cats again.kitty laptop.jpg

I might be staying close to home but most of my friends are heading for some interesting destinations. One friend is heading to NY to checkout Broadway. Two others are heading for southern California to do service projects.

But in the meantime my every spare hour is spent in the dark room developing photographs, writing papers (one due tomorrow and another on Wednesday-YIKES) and an exam on Friday in addition to applying for summer jobs, practice and doing weekly homework. I love Morris but I'll sure be glad to head home and read a book for fun for once!!!film.jpg

Bye!!!

Jobs and KUMM Concert

KKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

So ignoring the usual humdrum of school-ya know-homework, exams, practice, etc. its been a typical week at UMM. Except that tomorrow is Friday-oh glorious Friday I missed ye so!!!

Tomorrow a friend and I are going to the Career Fair at Minneapolis Convention Center in the hopes of finding a career to match our majors or at the very least a good summer job. I'm really interested about this cause I don't know exactly what to expect at this event. But its a nice break from classes plus UMM's Career Center is funding the transportation for getting students there and back. jobs.jpg

A second bonus this Saturday there is the Spring KUMM Concert at the Old #1 with some awesome local bands. Additionally its the same day as one of my friend's birthdays so we're going to have our own celebration before the concert. if your in Morris on Saturday you should definitely check it out! Doors open at 8:30pm with the Concert starting at 9pm. For more info checkout www.kumm.org. music.jpg

However, for now its time for me to get back to the homework!
Ciao!!!
~Mandy