« Scholarship Application Soon Approaching | Admissions Blog Home | New to the blog! »

A little bit about myself

¡Hola! Good to see you here. My name is Simón Franco. I am an international student here at UMM. I am a double major in Political Science, with concentrations in both Political Theory and International Relations, and Management, with a concentration in Global Business. Keep in mind that I am accomplishing all of this in four years! It is possible, trust me. I had to communicate a lot with my advisor but with her guidance and with one summer term of 12 credits I am going to graduate on time this May.

Since I moved to the U.S. three years ago I have been very involved and active in many groups and activities. Within my first 10 days of coming here I tried out for the Cougars football team and was granted a position as the kicker. When the semester started I decided to decline that offer in order to focus more on my academic work. Then I joined United Latinos (UL), and became an officer on the executive board of the organization and have been one ever since. It is not uncommon to see freshman taking leadership roles in different groups on campus, there are so many opportunities to apply yourself that it can be somewhat overwhelming…Just wait for the activities fair during orientation weekend-you’ll see what I mean!

Also, I have been involved in several other organizations on campus such as the Morris Campus Student Association (campus government), International Student Association, Gateway Mentor (summer mentorship program for multi-ethnic first year students), and activities like Dance Ensemble, Multiethnic Mentorship Program (Research program), and Campus Ambassadors (Official Tour Guides!).

My main focus of interest that has dictated most of the research I have done here at UMM are international relations in Latin America-more specifically Venezuela and Brazil-and Classical Political thought. Also, focusing on management the economic factors behind free trade and revolution in South America.

Well, this has been a short introduction of who I am and what I do at UMM. I will be posting more about my life in Morris, but if at this point you have any questions please leave a comment on my blog and I will reply as soon as I can. ¡Chao!

DSC00875.JPG

Trackback