« Busy Weekend! | Admissions Blog Home | Introductions, healthy lifestyles and CAKE!? »

The true meaning of spring break...

Spring break: a wonderful time in every college student's life. The half-way point between the spring semester. The time to relax, vacation, sleep in, go some place warm. But what about the time before that? There is one word for that: MIDTERMS.

No college student likes them. But every semester they happen, just like a nasty cold, they take over two weeks of your life you could spend doing just about anything else. Midterms aren't worse this year than any other year, but they seem ill-placed. Usually with midterms comes the hope of spring, of warm weather, of the nearing of summer. This winter it has been colder, and with the snow we got yesterday, wetter and whiter. Perhaps it's also because this semester has been going by faster than normal, and it doesn't seem like it's already almost half over. Perhaps it's just because I don't want to take the tests and write the papers...whatever the case may be, I'm not ready for them to happen.

It's not that I'm overly worried about my grades, or to actually study for the test, or write those papers, but the feeling of things being almost over. I think this year more than the previous two years, I'm realizing that my college time is more than half over, and that I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss the crazy study sessions at 3 am, learning new things and expanding my ideas about the world, the endless hours spent studying in the library, going to concerts and plays my friends are in, eating at TMC, the parties, and of couse spending time with my friends.

I know that I'll continue some of my friendships, but I also realize that some will fade away in the coming years, and that makes me want to cherish every moment possible, now, when I have the chance. Of course, that means midterms too, but you know what? That's okay. I'm ready (or nearly ready) to continue on in college, in friendships gained and lost, in life, and in love.

I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be.
There will be an answer, let it be.
Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
~Let it Be

Trackback

Enjoy every day. Enjoy your friendships. Enjoy love. Enjoy midterms (or not).