« Brussels! | Admissions Blog Home | How time flies! »

Students arrive, I hit the road...

August in Morris is one of my favorite times of year. The month begins with the oh so awesome Stevens County Fair and ends with all the students arriving on campus. Sunday, August 24th was a perfect day on campus as mini van after SUV pulled up behind the residence halls. The Morris Move-In Crew was back on campus early to help the new students bring in all of their computers, plasma tvs, disco balls, drum sets, cases of easy mac, and snowmobile suits. It brought me right back to September 1997 when my family and I pulled up to Pine Hall in this place called Morris to unload all of my stuff into room 20. It was quite an exciting day, especially the anticipation of meeting my roommate Conor for the first time. Long story short, my first year was all that I could have hoped for.

A lot has changed since I moved my things to Morris in the year of Hanson and the Spice Girls. Of course I no longer have MmmBop stuck in my head, but more importantly I'm working to find the future Morris students that I know are out there. Sunday, September 7th marked the first day that I hit the road from Morris for another year of recruiting. Much to my surprise, North Dakota would be my destination for the first time in my five years of Admissions at Morris. I packed my bags, stopped at Willie's Supervalu for some Cheese-Nips, fruit snacks, and granola bars, and I set out for certain fun in Dickinson, ND. I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express just after dinner on Sunday. "AAAwwweeesome!" I remember yelling out loud to myself as I saw the giant sign for Happy Joes pizza in the parking lot next to my hotel. For those of you that have enjoyed a Joe's pizza before, there is no explanation necessary. I grabbed my pizza, turned on some football, and prepared for a week of college fairs.

Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed my first extended visit to North Dakota. I even found a little time to explore Roosevelt National Park near Medora, ND.
natparkmike.jpg

I've met some really cool students over the past two weeks in North Dakota. I am actually back this week for some more college fairs and am writing this entry in Jamestown, ND. My first couple days back on the road have given me a full tank of energy for another year of travel and meeting a lot of future Morris students. If you happen to be one of those students reading this, take this opportunity to explore the Morris website. Look for your major, find the student club you want to be in, scope out the next jazz concert (email me for free tickets), and surf over to our visit page and set up your campus tour! Oh and don't let me forget, now is the perfect time to submit your application for admission, which can also be done online... how convenient! While you start your exploration on the Morris website, I'll be looking forward to meeting you, the future Morris student, on campus or on the road this year.

With that, it is time for me to track down some dinner and find the Twins on TV. Reporting live from Jamestown, ND, I'm Mike Vandenberg for the Morris Admissions Office.

Trackback