Morris Admissions Blog

Admissions Blog Home

Blog postings by John - '11

The Week Before Finals Week.

Gutentag Everyone!
Feeling as if I've been prompted by the Big V. (Mike Vandenberg, and no, we don't have such a developed relationship that I can get away with calling him the Big V.), I think I should write a new post.

Recently, I've been very busy with papers and jobs. So busy in fact, that every once in awhile I find time to go to class. I'm kidding, I find plenty of time, at the expense of having time for papers. This week I spent a considerable amount of my sleep time in the Briggs Library, researching early agriculture and organizational behavior concepts. the amount of resources available to a student at a university (especially a university as large as the U of M) compared to a high school. Universities just have more article databases, electronic and physical, books, and journals. It's easier to use the Library of Congress filing system, as opposed to the more common dewey decimal system that you would see in a regular city library. And of course, there are lots of good movies in the library, and they are totally free.

Some other things I've been up to would include the end of Cross Country running, and the beginning of indoor track. Tonight I am bowling with my CC team as an end of the season closer, with pizza being served and such. That will, of course, be lots of fun. Indoor track, however, is not very much fun at all. Sure, it's pretty much all the same guys, which is awesome, but running outside (since we are distance runners) in the freezing cold is not very enjoyable. We run about 8 miles in 5 degree weather, on the windswept prairie.

I have to go now, but I'll try to remember to update this next week and tell you how the finals are. And I plan on giving some nice collegiate advice sometime, too. Ciao

Ensembles, Classes, and Running

Since I know you must be looking to live vicariously through someone else's experiences, judging from the fact that you are reading this now, I'll entertain you with tales of my last week or so. Of course, I'll narrow it down and shout it out in little factoids, for your convenience.
First, I finished my Cross Country running season last Friday at the St. John's Fall Finale. I ran it on a semi-injured ankle, through some light rain in the dark, yet somehow managed to beat my old time at that course. It was a lot of fun, though, and I had the wonderful opportunity to drive half the team back in a fifteen passenger van. This was my first time driving one of those behemoths, and was probably the worst time to practice. The combined elements of snow, darkness, fatigue, injury, and distraction all made for what would presumably be a stressful drive. However, being the stress free goof that I am, we managed to have tons of fun, and I look forward to driving the team again.
Now, I have a few things to do this weekend. One of the big choices I'll have to make is whether I should see the Dance Ensemble show, or the Jazz Ensemble concert. Both are really quite spectacular. They are both showing for two nights, but I have to work one of those nights also. I'll let you know what I decide in another month or so.
And lastly, I guess have classes to attend, too. In fact, I'm about to go to class now. Ciao!

My Second try at a First Entry!

Hi future UM - Morris Students!
This is my second try at a first entry, since my first was probably too bizarre. I'm going to tone it down a little bit, and be a little more straight forward. My name is John Jones, and I am a second-year at sophomore and I live off campus. I am originally from Bloomington, directly south of the Cities, near the Mall of America. I went to Kennedy if anyone knows that school. Last year I lived in Gay Hall, on the Healthy Lifestyles floor. I run for the Mens Cross Country team, which is only two seasons old now. I participate in Student DFL, KUMM, Big Friend Little Friend, Performing Arts Council, SAAC, and I work for the Center for Small Towns. Recently, I also started to work at Pizza Ranch. That's right, I'm a Ranchero. Anyways, this introduction probably sounds really lame, but it's not my job to entertain you. Probably.

Continue reading "My Second try at a First Entry!" »

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices