Morris Admissions Blog

Admissions Blog Home

Blog postings by Liz - '12

Where did the year go???

I cannot BELIEVE there is only two weeks left of the semester! ZOMG. The year has sped by. Today I bought myself CLIF protein bars to get myself through the next two weeks of papers and projects and studying. Last summer when I was backpacking with my friend Lindsay, we were hanging out under a bridge in Paris with these three Californian dudes waiting for the train station to open (Don't ask.) and one of them pulled out a CLIF bar and said, "I'm not sure why, but these tasted REALLY good during finals week". I thought it tasted like tar, but now I really like them. It's like instant energy. I need to have them whenever it's finals week now.

I met with the group of lovelies that are going to Ireland with me. Seventeen days before we leave. It's crazy. Everyone is so excited. I've started packing up my apartment since I don't want to have to deal with all of my moving out and packing and finals in the same week. We're planning on going to Germany for one week, and will for sure go to a concentration camp. Other than that, we're not sure what we'll do now.

I'm going home this weekend for my brother's baseball game and to watch him strut his stuff in the Grand March at Prom. So I'm also trying to do as much work as I can so I don't have to think about too much this weekend.

Oh. So there was a BEAR in Morris today. Some women hit it with her car last night and called the police. The cops didn't believe her. I can't entirely blame them. Black bears don't generally inhabit Morris.

Who knew trashy could be so chic?

I went to Fashion Trashion last Friday and it was so amazing! Some of the outfits didn't even look like trash! Studio Art students made their outfits out of so many things, from Ramen noodle packages to cigarrette cartons to used coffee filters. It was in the Black Box Theatre of HFA. That's my favorite theatre on campus. It's so intimate. There was also a preview of How You Like It during Fashion Trashion and I am officially pumped to see this play. It's going to be amazing. I know I have said this before, but it never ceases to amaze me how much artistic talent there is on this campus.

The event was free and fabulous.

Saturday night the UMMY's were held (also free!). Students create short films which are shown and then win various UMMY's. (GET IT?!?! It's like the emmy awards, but it's the UMMY AWARDS. Cause we're UMM...Emmy, UMMY...) Anyway, the films were excellent this year. I'm terrible at film making. I've never taking an class for it and I've only had to make a short film once for my French class last semester. It was fun, but the editing process was so tedious to me. The knowledge that editing these films is so time consuming definitely helps me appreciate the effort made by those contributing with the film.

What an eco-friendly, zombie obsessed campus.

So next weekend is the production of As You Like It by the University of Minnesota Morris. Just another Shakespeare production we've seen before, you think? No. There is an awesome green twist on this one. The costumes are all made from recycled materials. Old CD's jeans, juice boxes, anything they could scrounge up. The associate director, Ray Schultz (also a theater professor here at Morris) says the cast goal was to have the production be 100% eco friendly.

The Trashion Show is this weekend. the name says it all. Students form clothing out of trash and model it for the audience. I've never been to a trashion show, but I have a couple friends in it, and one told me that this was a huge event, and I should show up quite early. Last year the Chancellor had to stand!

Last week was just scary, crazy productive for me. Two papers and two presentations, ugh. So I relaxed this weekend. It was nice. But, it's back to the daily grind now. Except that there are zombies all over campus due to mass interest in the Human vs. Zombies game going on. I'm not playing, I didn't want to go to class paranoid. But I sat on the mall and watched people get "killed" and socks thrown at them, and holding signs proclaiming "THE END IS NIGH".

Back from Easter Weekend.

I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter weekend! My belly was so full of jellybeans and food that it was just ridiculous. My brother-in-law made a rainbow colored seven layer Jell-O which was delicious and oh-so pretty...except there were only five layers because they had no blue or indigo Jell-O. And my mom sent me back with a bunch of Ramen Noodles. And some leftover ham and steak. So I am SET for food until the end of the semester!

This is going to be a busy week. I have a Spanish presentation on Thursday, and another French oral exam to prepare for next Monday. And a paper to start for my history class, which is due next Friday. I'm also going to try to apply for some scholarships for study abroad.

Also...BABIES comes out in two weeks! Is anyone else crazy excited for that?

Just Another Day.

What a ridiculous week. I was amazed and pleased to find that today, after doing homework all morning and studying for a test and taking a test and going to three classes, that I had two free hours with nothing to do this afternoon, and strolled home and watched Community (I have determined that I WILL marry Joel McHale someday), before returning to campus at 4:30, hanging out with some friends for awhile, and going to work at 5:00. American Sign Language Club at 6:30, then back to work for a little while.

Some good news is that I totally rocked my examen écrit en French today. Y mi examen español ayer. Now I just need to get that silly French oral exam out of the way. And my Spanish presentation on Jorge Luis Borges. And then I am home free for Easter weekend.

I am also one step closer to getting my area of concentration in International Studies. I got one of my political science classes approved for next year. Now I just need an economics class approved, to revise my area of concentration plan, get it signed and approved by my advisor, the Division Chair, and the Chancellor. Then, instead of saying I PLAN to be a Spanish and International Studies major, I can say "YES, I AM a Spanish and International Studies major."

Which is way cooler.

Plane Ticket? Check.

Hello all!

So great news, I have officially bought my ticket to Dublin, Ireland! I shall be commencing my adventure on May 16 and returning to America on June 21. I've met all of the people I shall be traveling and living with and they are all wonderful. The plan of action is to travel to Germany for a week after the four weeks of Ireland and fly out of Frankfurt. I am so incredibly excited. And nervous. But mostly excited. I splurged and bought myself a new backpack for traveling. It's Rick Steve's Convertible Carry On, because I read that if you are under 5'6" you shouldn't have a backpack bigger than 22", and at a mere 5'2" the 21" backpack will probably be worth it.

Speaking of Ireland, I have bought my ticket to Flogging Molly! The concert is already sold out and people are fighting for tickets!

Until then there is a lot to do. I can't believe there is only six weeks until I leave! It's time to start thinking about final projects and papers. That's if you don't want to procrastinate, which I would not recommend.

At least it's getting nice out though. Reading outside in the sun is so much more enjoyable then cooped up in the library!

Elizabeth

V-Day

It's Valentine's Day, and it was a great weekend for sweethearts in Morris! The Winter Dance Recital was excellent. Adventures in Mating was a success! (But the ending wasn't very romantic the night I went. It was interactive and the results were based on the choices of the audience. The play was surrounding a date between a guy and a girl. At the end of our version of the play the girl was so fed up with men that she stormed out of the restaurant proclaiming that she's decided to give dating women a try!) Then there was a BSU Dance on Saturday night, and who doesn't love dancing? No significant other? Not a problem! Gather some friends and all of the previous activities are just as fun!

There are a few local restaurants in town that you could take your sweetheart to. I would recommend Bella Cucina, the Italian restaurant. Delicious. If you're looking for more comfort food, Don's Cafe is a good choice too. Or maybe do some grocery shopping at Willie's Super Value and cook your own Valentine's Day dinner!

Just spreading the awesomeness of UMM...

It's been a wonderful and busy week here at Morris! I've got my Area of Concentration form all filled out and such to add an International Studies Major to my Spanish major, applying for scholarships, busy classes, lots of homework...

One new thing, American Sign Language Club has been revived here at Morris! It's been...twelve years....I think, since it was an official club. We've had our second meeting this week and everyone is having such a fun time learning new signs and about Deaf culture!

This weekend there are a lot of fun stuff on campus! I can't go to all of them, but I plan on going to the Winter Dance Recital on Friday. I was in one dance last year. My Community Advisor, who is a dance minor, choreographed the dance. It was a lot of fun, and all of the dances were so original and wonderful and it was so great knowing that the majority of the dances were choreographed by UMM students.

Saturday I am attending Adventures in Mating, an interactive play that is student directed and is being performed at the Old No. 1, a local bar in Morris.

That's all for now. Take care and keep warm!

Liz :)

ACCEPTED

I got my ISA acceptance program for Salamanca, Spain next year!

I am so incredibly, splendiferously (It's a word! Sort of...) excited! All of my application materials for ELTAP have been turned in, which is good, because it's due tomorrow. I've made an appointment with the Spanish Consulate in Chicago to apply for my Student Visa. (Which means a great excuse for a roadtrip this summer!)

Back to school and having "Super-Good-Fun-Times" at the UMM!

Everyone is back in the swing of things here at Morris. Classes have commenced. I think I'll enjoy my classes this semester now that I'm not trying to learn four different languages at once. Not that I didn't love all of my classes last semester, but I decided that my attempt to love German was a lost cause. It's a cool language and everything, don't get me wrong. I wish I was good at it. But I'm just...not. So alas, only French and Spanish and Sign Language this semester.

My class sizes have a variety of numbers in them. Introduction of World History since 1500 is a lecture class with what I'd guess to be 80 students or so and my Introduction to Hispanic Literature class has...like...eight.

Also, it's the first night of telecounseling. It's sad, but we're not yet in the new Welcome Center (Or, as Melissa calls it, the "Super-Good-Fun-Times" building). We are still in Behmler, where the majority of the desk chairs are broken. Tuesday night we will be in the Super-Good-Fun-Times building with the Brand-New-Not-Fixed-With-Duct-Tape-By-Mike-Vandenberg chairs.

Also, I have mailed in the rest of my application for ISA in Spain next year and am anxiously waiting a response. And I've submitted all of my ELTAP application materials. WHOOOO!

Liz;)

Can I go back to Morris now? Pleeeease?

Hello all,

I hope everyone is having a lovely holiday! Mine has consisted of waitressing at my old job from high school, catching up with old friends, listening to Lady Gaga (!), eating comfort food made by my mother, and scraping ice off of my car. There's a blizzard tonight (Oooooh, Minnesoooota, how I hate your weather) so my mom has decided to have a "family fun night".

Oh, and I went to Mankato and did a bit of shopping. Charlotte Russe was having a sale. JACKPOT!

I'm going a little bit stir crazy though. The town that I am originally from has 200 people in it. Seriously, people think Morris is smalltown? Dude, I know smalltown, and Morris is not exactly it. I'm really looking forward to returning to school in a couple weeks. I've been pining for my friends from Morris and some toast from Don's Cafe. Facebook is simply not sufficient.

PANCAKE TIME!

It's here. The dreaded finals week.

I can take it though. With awesome distractions like the Jazz Dance last Saturday (Oh, my goodness...SO FUN!) in Oyate Hall with the live jazz band consisting of the UMMers themselves, and the free pancakes at ten o' clock tonight served by the professors, I have a feeling that I will survive.

Seriously, I'm really excited about these pancakes. I love pancakes. I've been ranting to Jackie and Naomi about pancakes for the past three hours I think. I wonder if it's getting annoying...

Breakfast food is completely delicious. Even moreso when it's eaten during a meal that is not breakfast. I don't care what you crazy "I-can-only-eat-food-at-the-appropriate-appointed-meals" people say. For lunch today, I went to Don's Cafe, our local diner in Morris. I had french toast. It rocked my world.

If you come visit Morris, you have to eat at Don's Cafe and you HAVE to eat the toast. My tour guide told me this when I was a high school senior and here on a campus visit. I laughed then. But I kid you not. Your life will be changed for the better.

Liz :)
~~~

"Guess what, Liz. It's eight o'clock. And that's one hour until nine o'clock. And that's one hour until ten o'clock. And that means..."

"PANCAKES!"

In Other News...

You've heard it before. It's finals week at UMM. AAAARGH!

In other news, I'm going to Salamanca, Spain next year to study abroad at the University of Salamanca! I am going to apply for the Business and Liberal Arts program. I had a meeting today with the lovely Stacy Aronson, and I have an appointment to meet with Tom McRoberts tomorrow, the director of the studying abroad. He's supposedly going to talk me through the process and give me a checklist of all of the things I need to get done. I'm starting the process early enough that hopefully nothing will be too stressful and time demanding.

I feel like I've been completely obsessed with studying abroad lately. A word of warning, I'm probably going to continue to be obsessed with it until next fall, when I'm actually there.

And nearly everything is turned in for my ELTAP application. I'm so excited! Just a few more materials to gather before February 1st, 2010...Everyone that I've spoken to concerning the subject has been so encouraging.

Well, I'd better get back to work! Take care!

Liz :)

Back to School!

Hey, everyone! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving break. I know I did. I ate so much that I was sure I would return to Morris roughly the size of a small elephant. It was quite productive as well. I managed to get a good start on my paper about slang in American Sign Language and I got a huge chunk of my ELTAP application done.

ELTAP stands for English Language Teaching Assistant Program. You don't have to be an education major, you just need to be fluent in English and be willing to help people improve their English skills. I've been placed in an all boys school (Kindergarten-6th grade) in Bray, Ireland with three other girls from UMM for four weeks starting the week after spring semester ends.

Today after classes I had a meeting with Stacy Aronson, who is the director of the study abroad program for Spanish speaking countries. I'm planning on studying abroad in Spain somewhere next year for the duration of the academic year. I don't know where exactly I want to go, but I'm rather partial to Madrid. The idea of going to school somewhere smaller with less American tourists has its appeal as well. Stacy talked to me about a lot of different options I had, and I'm so excited to look at the different programs and figure out which one I want!

Talk to you later!

"Hello."

Whew! Whoever said being in college would be easy peasy lemon squeezy (Where the heck did that phrase come from, anyway?) compared to high school was sorely mistaken! Between going to classes, homework, work, final projects and papers being wrapped up, and making time to breathe, it has not been a walk in the park. And I'm not the only one. Everyone I talk to is swamped too! I am so ready for Thanksgiving break!

The stress is completely bearable, however, given the fact that I love all of my classes! (I know, I know, "She works in admissions, she NEEDS to talk about how splendorous everything in Morris is." But I'm serious!) I'm a Spanish and International Studies major, and this semester most of my classes are language based. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I make my way to German class (Okay, so German is really hard for me, but no one can be good at everything!) and then to French. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have Spanish and World Politics and on Tuesday nights I take American Sign Language (My favorite class of all of them).

"But Liz," you ask, "don't you get all those languages mixed up, taking them all in one semester?" The answer to that is: YES, I DO. Be smart, people. One foreign language at a time.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices