Morris Admissions Blog

Admissions Blog Home

Blog postings by Naomi - '13

T-Minus 4 Days!

Yes, that's right folks!
In exactly 4 days, I will be done with my first semester of college here at UMM, and I will be that much closer to traveling back to Cambodia (more on this later).

FINALS ARE HERE!
As you've read in other blogs, it is indeed that time of season. The time where large amounts of sugared, caffeinated beverages are consumed, stress fills the air, and the library is packed... yes, Finals are here.

In other news, there have been many things happening on campus and off campus.
-On campus: studying and presentations and dances and concerts and pancakes.
-Off campus: traveling and snow ball fights and Sarah Palin.

Wait.

"Sarah Palin?!" you ask?

Yes. I, along with three other brave UMM students traveled to the big town of Bloomington (Mall of America) to loose sleep, camp out at the International House Of Pancakes, and meet Sarah Palin. Now, to remain bi-partisan, I will not comment on the level of dislike and fuming anger I have for Sarah Palin. Instead, I merely want to inform you on the facts of my experience:

FACT: I waited in line for more than 7 hours. I walked across the stage, got my book signed, and "met" Sarah Palin in about 7 seconds (this included her shaking my hand, signing my book, asking my name and scowling at my "I love my Co-Op button).

FACT: I bought her book (yes, I gave into Capitalism) and she signed it.

FACT: UMM was given press coverage when I was interviewed several times while at the Mall of America.

FACT: I lost a lot of sleep.

FACT: I am being "disowned" by several family members (well, not really...but, you know).

FACT: I now feel as if my "liberal arts education" has become more complete.

FACT: It was the Morris Student DFL group that went to meet this lipstick wearing figure head. Ironic, isn't it?

***Check it out:
http://www.startribune.com/politics/78679387.html?page=2&c=y
(I feel as if this interview does not show my feelings towards this woman...)

http://wcco.com/video/?id=71457@wcco.dayport.com.
(It was early. There were many supporters around. I tried to remain calm. I was "excited" to get my book signed)

Returning to UMM: A Relief?!

Holy Smokes.

I never would have thought that I would find myself admitting it to be a relief to come back to school- with all of the stress of classes and what not, but I'm finding myself extremely thankful to be back here on campus!
This is because my thanksgiving break was nothing close to relaxing. Exciting, yes. Eventful, yes. Fun, yes. Relaxing, no.

The whole break started off with a bang--literally.
As I was riding in the car to attend a very nontraditional Thanksgiving dinner (comprised of enchiladas and totillas and guacamole dip) in Eau clair WI, a deer ran into our car. It was traumatic, and I think that I am scared for life (...perhaps this is a tad bit too dramatic...). We ended up making it to my cousins house. We were stranded there over night (although, it turned out to be quite the night-- filled with good company and great pies and the Pocahontas movie). The next day, when we attempted to drive back to Rochester, MN (the dealership repair shop had told us that it would be okay to drive back), we were stranded yet again- although this time on the side of the road. So, we were towed back into Eau Clair and given a free rental car. Finally, we were able to make it home.

The rest of the weekend was a blast: ginger bread cookies, movies, sleepless nights, family time, the friends of the library book store, klaus nomi, Christmas tree chopping... the list goes on.

But, I missed out on the "relaxation" part. Although, I do not have any regrets what-so-ever, and I'm enlightened to admit that waking up this morning and getting back into the groove of college life was much welcomed.

13667_1294088473645_1273290049_30893411_1808804_n.jpg

"5 Slapped-Together-Take-It-With-a-Grain-of-Salt-Top-5-Pieces-of-Advice-I-Have-Learned-So-Far"

As I promised yesterday, I'm back to ramble on some more.

Today, I've decided to focus this entry on some advice from me, a vigilant freshman here at UMM.
So, enlighten yourself:

(In no particular order)

1. Agenda books save lives. Seriously. I once (about a week ago) went a day with out my agenda, and I felt lost and as if I was suffocating in outer space. Let me just say that being organized is key.
  2. Always be open to new things. There are so many instances where an open mind is crucial to even make it though the day.
  3. Studying is mandatory. Well, if one wants to do well on exams and quizzes, that is. As much as I'd like to believe that I know everything, it is always much more beneficial (sometimes the difference between a B/C and A) to review the material.
  4. Being involved and meeting people is just as important as attending classes. I'm not saying to go skip class in order to attend a meeting, but rather making connections and being an engaged UMM community member can teach you just as much as being lectured at about how the central dogma of molecular biology works. For real.
  5. Sleep is optional. There have been many nights where my head hits the pillow several hours after midnight. Although, if there is an exam the next day, I suggest at least 6 hours of sleep.

Alas, a photo, courtesy of the ACE Office:
This photo was taken during the Study Abroad Story Night 11/18/2009
15438_103106036375407_100000280324118_78839_1334318_n.jpg

Cheers!
nrhw

Within the Blink of an Eye:

So much has taken place here at UMM.
Over the past three months (Wait. Hold on....three months...is this possible?!), I have constructively over committed myself (some nights I have less than five minutes to get from meeting to meeting: class until noon, lunch, Campus Resources Planning Committee, work, jazz combo, DFL Exec meeting, study group meeting, homework, relaxing time, shower, and then bed by 2am), expanded my educational learning capability, watched the stars while laying under the UMM wind turbine, met amazing professors and students (insert shout out here to the ACE office- Paula- with candy cigarettes. Exclaimer: UMM in no way endorses smoking; the candy cigarettes are in fact powdered sugar sticks that come from the dollar store). In the midst of everything, I'm finding it incredibly hard to believe that it is nearly Thanksgiving break!

Perhaps, before I go into more detail about all of the events that I have been involved with and that have been happening here on campus, I should explain myself (in facebook style!):
Name: Naomi Halverson Wente
Year: First Year, Nearly Sophomore
Major(s): Environmental Studies- possibly Political Science, Women's Studies, Spanish
View on life: Open the door, step outside and smell the fresh air. Then attempt to do anything and everything that is of interest
Activities: DFL Executive Committee, Minnesota Public Interest research Group (MPIRG), Campus Resources Planning Committee (CRPC), work, "One Toilet at a Time" campaign, Jazz Combo, hanging out/volunteering in the ACE office, star gazing, volunteering at the Co-Op, study groups, hanging out in the Library (third floor couches at Salt Lake City), drinking highlander grog at Common Cup, etc. (to be continued!)
Interests: Changing the World.

Here is a photo taken, courtesy of the Star Tribune.
Sept 28. 2009
"Environmental studies majors Collin Sandoe and
Naomi Wente worked with a biomass gasifier in a lab at the University of
Minnesota-Morris' heating and cooling plant."

8718_291652850216_571540216_9029486_3442654_n.jpg

*Stay in-tune for much more to come!
nrhw

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices