Morris Admissions Blog

Admissions Blog Home

Blog postings by Shilo - '10

Hometown: Maple Grove, MN
Major: Elementary Education, Statistics
Activities: Women's Swim Team, Blood Drive, Orientation Group Leader, Information Desk Employee
Future Plans: Peace Corps

Back to School, Back to School...

I'm back in Morris! I just got back yesterday officially! You may ask why so late? Student teaching of course! For the first three weeks of class I was in the cities at Woodland Elementary in Brooklyn Park, MN. This was my beginning student teaching experience and I had a great time. I was in an awesome 6th grade class and it was great to meet so many wonderful students. I was able to teach a couple lessons in science and reading. I had a great time but I'm also happy to back on campus. I feel like I've missed a lot but on my first day back I got some home work so maybe I really haven't missed too much. Since this week is my first week of classes I kind of have those jitters that you would usually have the first week.

This weekend is the scholarship jubilee event and I'm speaking! Eeeeek! I have the pleasure of speaking in front of 200 guests including the Chancellor, Jacquie Johnson! OMG! Wish me luck. I'm looking forward to it but this is the largest crowd I have ever spoken in front of. The scholarship jubilee is an event to celebrate, honor, and thank Morris campus donors for their scholarship gifts and recognize the accomplishments of talented scholarship recipients.

I was a part of orientation again this fall and had a great time meeting some of the new freshmen and my transfer students rocked! Shout out to group 5! Extravaganza was a lot of fun and since it was my last year it was great to see the new OGL's really get into the skits and I know things will go well next year. Extravaganza is an orientation event on one of the evenings and it is where the OGL's and CA's put on skits that relate to Morris life. It is quite hilarious and everyone has a great time. I've also joined Dance Ensemble this year so I'm looking forward to learning some new dance moves. It might even be as cool as Dancing With The Stars. Not much else to say since I just got back and have only had one class, no meetings, and no stress. Hmmm that's a very weird last sentence to be able to type.

Catch you on the flip side
~Shilo

Busy Weekend in February!

On a fairly temperate night (compared to most recently) I'm working at the Information Desk, my work study job. This has been a busy weekend for myself along with most of campus. This weekend was the community of scholars event for the admissions office. For the past two days, admitted students have been touring campus and interviewing for the competitive scholarships. I gave a tour to a group of parents yesterday, which was a lot of fun. It was my first tour in quite some time so I was a little rusty but I had a lot of fun giving the tour. I've been busy working in the Ceramics studio this weekend trying to get a couple projects done. And now, while I'm working, there is a concert going on in Edson. Brother Ali is preforming along with a couple other groups. So the student center has been hopping all day.

Currently this semester I'm taking Advanced ceramics, Elementary Education Middle Level Theory, Mathematical Statistics, and an independent study - Survey Methodology. So far this semester hasn't been too bad. Things have been pretty evenly spaced. This is the last week of swimming for the 08-09 season. This is also my last year of swimming so I'm a little sad but excited to have had a great season with a wonderful group of girls. The Blood Drive is this next week so I think that is what has made this last week super busy, trying to get ready for that. Like always, things in Morris are good but busy but that's the way I like it.

To my swimming girls: Thanks for a great senior year and you have been the greatest freshman ever!

Almost October...Already?

I can't believe it's almost October already!!! Time flies when your studying and having fun. Well this week seemed to be the busiest so far this year. But some of the stress has been relieved since I only have one test left and I'm playing Intermural Softball TONIGHT!!! Go Beasts!!!

One really exciting thing has happened in the last week I've started my Practicum for the elementary education program. A practicum is kind of like student teaching but you are not teaching all day. You do three mini lessons for each class and then you are observing and helping in the classroom. I was placed here in Morris at St. Mary's in a first grade classroom and I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun being in 1st grade again :)

Homecoming is next week and I'm super pumped because I applied to be a Homecoming Ambassador; so cross your fingers. The theme for homecoming this year is Survivor, which is totally cool because I like the show a lot and you have to be a true survivor to be here at Morris and go through the brutal tug of war! Go Indy! For those of you that don't know we have an annual tug of war between the to large freshman dorms; David C. Johnson - Independence Hall and Clayton A. Gay Hall. Anybody is welcome to participate in the tug of war so all alumni of a certain dorm can come join in. The hall that wins gets naming rights over the lake (small pond that is grass in the summer) in between the two halls. Last year the rope broke during the tug of war and the lake was nameless last year. But Indy will hopefully reclaim victory this year! Also the second annual powder puff game is next week also, Go Upper Classwomen!!!

Enough of my bias shouting...good luck with your things going on in your life and I will leave you with this...
Did you know that your nose is as long as your thumb...go ahead try it. Can't figure it out, let me know.

What a night and what a year!

And the count down begins! Two weeks left of school then summer vacation!!! I can't wait!

So after a pretty busy and stressful week of school I was pretty excited that it was Friday!!! I really didn't have any plans which was actually nice for a change. I was ready for a night of rest and relaxation. But then it seems that too many things were presented to me. Theres a dance on campus, a movie with some friends, bowling, Iron Man is showing in town, and then my quiet time was calling. It was a hard decision but in the end I had a lot of fun. I went bowling and got my first Turkey ever! Then I went to Iron Man (it was great!) It still turned out to be a restful evening.

Well this year has gone by so fast. I can't believe its already May. It feels like I just moved in last week and now I'm already packing to leave. I've had a lot of good times this year and I can't wait to be a Senior next year and continue the wonderful college life. My top five memories from this year are: (drum roll please) 5) Being and Orientation Group Leader, 4) Taking a picture with the swim team at the infamous blue boat out side of Glenwood *Inserted below* 3) Taking Poetry with Professor Gremmels, 2) Sign Language Concert, 1) Placing 8th at L.A.C (Liberal Arts Championships) for Swimming

IMG_0622.JPG

This picture was taken January 15, 2008 and it was about 0 degrees
Have a marvelous May!

Spring is in the Air...but it's not coming?

Within the last week it seems that the talk of this lovely town Morris has been the weather. One day before I went to class it was a little chilly and while in class I looked outside and there were MUTANT snowflakes falling...they were huge! Later that day it was in the forties and all the snow was gone. I feel like each day we get a glimpse of what is to come but then the nasty Minnesota weather decides to rain/snow and smash our hopes of spring. One of my favorite intramurals is kickball and if it the weather doesn't shape up it might be a shorter season then usual :(

Many spring events are here this week and it makes for a crazy time. The Blood Drive is Wednesday and Thursday (Whoo!), Dance Ensemble show is this weekend (always fun and entertaining), Relay for Life is Friday to Saturday (1st Relay for Life Event/Walk at UMM), and random acts of kindness day.

Up and coming...BRIAN POSEHN!!! Brian is a comedian and he is coming here to Morris April 26! I'm super pumped and can't wait for a night of laughs. This line from Batman Returns cracked me up this last weekend, "Eat floor!"

Sign Language Concert

One of the coolest events I've ever been to was the sign langugage concert this afternoon. Not only was it cool because I was in it but it was fun to watch. There were about 24 groups and as a part of sign language class these groups prepare a song and preform at the concert. My partner and I chose A Whole New World from the Disney movie Aladdin. We even had our own magic carpet :) I would say it was the best assignment I've had for any class. Across campus at the PE Center another event was going on. The annual Pow Wow put on by CNIA (Circle of Nations Indian Association). I've gone to the Pow Wow since I was a freshman and had to keep the tradition going so I stopped by. I enjoy the atmosphere and the festivities and was thrilled the Pow Wow was here today.

The fun doesn't stop there... I also worked today at the Information Desk for my work study job. Then the second chance dance is tonight. The dance is being put on to raise money and collect gently used formal dresses; they will then be given to Ever After Gowns.

Don't go changin'...

Hello!!!

Hey Everyone! My name is Shilo Parisian and I'm one of the new bloggers this semester. I'm very excited and nervous to be a blogger.

First off I will introduce myself; I'm Shilo and I'm a junior here at UMM. My major is Elementary Education (which I was just accepted into the program so it's official!) and Statistics. I'm involved in a couple things on campus; The Women's Swimming and Diving Team, Blood Drive Coordinator, Information Desk Employee, and Campus Ambassadors. I really enjoy all the things that I'm involved in. Swimming has been a passion of mine for many years so I'm glad I'm able to swim for UMM. We recently traveled to Elsah, IL for our championship meet at Principia College and we did very well. The team was able to visit St. Louis, Missouri and see the Arch. The only bad part about the trip is there was no cell phone service in Elsah - what did we do when no one had a cell phone?

This week was mid-terms and there was definitely stress in the air. I think for the first time in my college career I didn't have a mid-term this week - Whoo hoo! But after break I look forward to taking a couple tests :) Classes are going well and I'm enjoying the variety I have this semester - Biological Rhythms, American Government - great class especially with the election coming up, Data Analysis, First Aid, Sign Language, and R.A.D.

Well, I'm drawing a blank on things to say so until next time...
~Shilo

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices