Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Engineers Without Borders

By Dorothy Cheng

When I started planning to move into Middlebrook Hall my first year, I got a little stressed out. I didn't know if I was going to like my roommate, how I would ever find my way around campus, or how to fit all my clothes (and shoes) in my new closet. The first few weeks were hectic, but really exciting as I met so many new people and started classes. I heard a lot about student groups, but I wasn't sure if I had the extra time to join one. As an incoming freshman, you may want to take a little while to get used to your new surroundings and classes, but once you get your schedule figured out I definitely recommend joining a student group.

One student group that's very important to the College of Science and Engineering is Engineers Without Borders (EWB). They undertake international service projects, travel abroad to implement them, and apply the engineering skills they learn in the classroom. This April, a documentary featuring the efforts of EWB in Uganda was released in Minneapolis. A team of engineers from the University of Minnesota helped bring clean drinking water to villagers in Uganda. The documentary is called "Water for Mulobere." Check it out!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home