Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Campus housing

For me, this week marks the beginning of fall. Though our calendars still say August, this week the U of M's freshman class moves onto campus and starts Welcome Week.

During my freshman year, I lived in an Honors Living Learning Community in Middlebrook Hall. Living Learning Communities are groups of students with similar interests within our residence halls. The College of Science and Engineering (CSE) students often find special interest in these three Living Learning Communities: Science and Engineering Explorations House, University Honors Housing, and the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) House.

Living Learning Communities are optional, but I can tell you from experience that participating in a Living Learning Community made me feel more confident moving to campus because I knew I would be living around other students who shared my same interests--it was a built-in community.

Even if you're not interested an Living Learning Community, I highly recommend that you consider living on campus (it's not required, but most first-year students do). It's such a fun experience to be around so many other students who are going through the same transition. The U of M has eight residence halls and three apartment buildings. High school seniors: the freshman housing application will be available early November 2010 at www.umn.edu/housing. Housing preferences are granted based on the date of submission, so fill out your application early! (You don't have to be admitted to the University to apply for housing.)

You may also want to check out video tours of our residence halls and apartment complexes. This is a great way to get a feel for all our housing options without touring campus 11 time! 

Apply Visit Ask Us Home