Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Sorority Recruitment

By Hilary Baril 

I am getting really excited for sorority recruitment, coming up during the second week of September! 

Recruitment is a time when women who are interested in joining the Greek community visit the sorority houses on campus to meet current members and decide which chapter they want to join. Not only is it an exciting time for the women going through recruitment, but also for current sorority members because we get to welcome new women into our community. 

While the decision to participate or not participate in Greek life is a personal choice for everyone, joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I made in my college career. I joined the first semester of my freshman year to get involved and meet people. Little did I know, I was joining a close-knit community that would provide me with many opportunities for personal growth.

7517_268165145371_543380371_9170533_6391707_n.jpg

My sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta

The Greek community here at the University of Minnesota is full of opportunities for leadership, scholarship, and service. Each sorority and fraternity has its own charity that they donate to, also known as its "philanthropy". Chapters hold events throughout the year to raise money for their particular philanthropy. My sorority's philanthropy is the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, which contributes funds to research in diabetes. We hold an annual pancake breakfast, a Trick-or-Treat for Change event, and a silent auction to raise money for our foundation. 

The Greek Community also participates in a number of service projects together, such as Feed My Starving Children and YMCA Helpers. Last year, U of M Greek members gave 50,000 hours in community service and raised over $215,000 for philanthropic organizations.

By being a part of the Greek community you can become a leader on many levels. I have held leadership positions within my own chapter and within the Panhellenic Council, the sorority governing body. I also had the opportunity to go with 80 other members of the Greek community to a nationally recognized leadership institute called the Undergraduate Interfraternity Institute.

The Greek community also offers resources and support for its members to excel academically. We have study nights at Walter Library, support from our advisers, and academic programming. During finals week, we rent a classroom and bring plenty of food and have a study-a-thon.

Have I mentioned how much fun it is? We participate in numerous campus-wide events. During Homecomingsororities and fraternities are placed in teams in which we compete in cheer, lip-sync, the parade, and flag football. We also participate in Spring Jam events and have a Greek Weekend in which we have an all-chapter formal, speaker, and service event.

To learn more about the benefits of becoming Greek or to sign up for formal recruitment, visit the Be Greek website.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home