Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

The Bucket List

By Hilary Baril

I am sad to say that this will be my last year as an undergraduate student at the University of Minnesota. I feel like I have accomplished nearly everything I wanted to in college and have really taken advantage of the great opportunities available to me. But there are so many fun things that I have always wanted to experience that I haven't yet had the chance to do. That's why I have created a bucket list for my senior year. So here's what I'm going to cross out before I become an alumna in the spring:

Stargazing at Tate Lab of Physics - Every Friday, the Department of Astronomy holds public viewings on the rooftop of the physics building. I have always wanted to look through their state-of-the-art telescopes and learn about the stars.

Center for Outdoor Adventure Trip - The Center for Outdoor Adventure puts on recreational activities and trips revolving around the great outdoors, such as backpacking, rock climbing, and canoe trips. The adventures are held on weekends and are significantly discounted for students. I'm planning to go on the Boundary Waters Expedition.

Campus Freeze - Once a year, U of M students stop what they are doing and freeze in the Northrup Mall for 5 minutes. I have always been busy when it has happened, but it really is a site to see. Hopefully I can be a part of the great tradition this year. Check out this video of the freeze from last year.

Golden Gopher Basketball - I am a huge sports fan and have had University of Minnesota men's hockey and football season tickets every year and have been to numerous baseball and volleyball games, and even gymnastics meets. So it's hard to believe that I have never been to a single men's basketball game! I love watching basketball and this year I am going to try to go to at least one game.

Sounds of the Season - Every winter, the University of Minnesota choirs join together at Ted Mann Concert Hall for the holiday concert "Sounds of the Season." It is the perfect way to start winter break.

Pay It Forward Tour - The Pay It Forward Tour is a community service trip organized by nationwide student organization Students Today Leaders Forever (it was founded at the U of M!). Over spring break in March, students travel around the nation on a charter bus to volunteer in communities in need. Forget rest and relaxation, this year I'm dedicating my time to service!

Support the U Day - Every February, hundreds of students lead by the Minnesota Student Association gather at the state capitol for "Support the U Day" to talk to state legislators about major issues that the University and its students are facing. This year I want to take advantage of this great leadership opportunity and talk to local legislators for my fellow students.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home