Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Hello from the College of Biological Sciences

Hi everyone!

My name is Matthew Sabongi and I am the freshman admissions counselor for the College of Biological Sciences (also referred to as "CBS") here at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities.

I am originally from Woodbury, Minnesota, a suburb just east of the Twin Cities. I moved to Minneapolis after I graduated high school and have lived here ever since. Some of my favorite things include camping, hiking, backpacking, snowboarding, cooking, photography, music, traveling, and all adventure sports.

I graduated from the College of Biological Sciences in May 2010 earning a bachelor of science in Biochemistry and a minor in the History of Medicine. While I was a student, I was involved in a variety of activities. I was member to the CBS Student BoardCBS Student Ambassadors, and a Deans' Scholars mentor. In addition, I volunteered at Hennepin County Medical Center in Downtown Minneapolis as a book buddy where books to children throughout the hospital. I also worked as an assistant scientist in two labs. One of the labs I worked in was in the University's Medical School, where I studied signaling pathways in a little white blood cell called a neutrophil. In the other lab, I studied the structure of a membrane protein in heart and skeletal muscle cells.

For those of you with a passion for biology, the College of Biological Sciences is a great place! While you are a student in CBS, you will have the chance to participate in amazing opportunities on campus, in the Twin Cities, and even around the world. Some of these experiences might include studying abroad, conducting research, volunteering, teaching a class, and much more. Based on my own college career, I believe that being a student in CBS is a one-of-a-kind experience with limitless opportunities!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home