Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Welcome to my blog!

Hello!

My name is Matt Coakley. I am the freshman admissions counselor for the College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences here at the University of Minnesota. I'm writing this blog to keep you updated on the latest and greatest in the College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences and the U of M. By the way, you'll see that I often call the college "CFANS" for short since the name is long! 

Here is a little bio about me: I am originally from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, so naturally I am a huge fan of the Green Bay Packers. Some of my favorite hobbies are fishing, biking, downhill skiing, flag football, camping, and pretty much anything that involved the outdoors. I graduated this last May from CFANS with a major in Bioproducts Marketing and Management. This is a unique major that concentrates on the forest products industry along with renewable resources, bio-fuels, and bio-plastics. Along with this science-based course of study, I was able to take business classes at the Carlson School of Management to receive a minor in Management.

What I really enjoyed about being a student in CFANS was all of the hands-on learning that we were able to do. For example, in my major, we took classes on how to identify wood, we actually made our own Oriented Strand Board (OSB) which is used in the construction of houses, and we toured a number of different ethanol plants to learn firsthand how it is made. These opportunities put some life into what we were studying and enhanced our ability to comprehend a number of topics.

Anyway, I hope that you all will come back to my blog often. I will frequently be posting news articles and other exciting information about CFANS and the University. I'd love your comments on my blog entries, or you may also contact me directly at coakl006@umn.edu.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

-Matt

Apply Visit Ask Us Home