Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Welcome Week is almost here

By Zack Haas

While the summer sunlight may be waning, the excitement on campus for the coming academic year is only growing. This is a favorite time of year for everyone at the University, as students begin their academic careers or return to another year at the University of Minnesota. 

I can still remember the excitement and nervousness I felt when I was an incoming freshman. Coming from a small town, I remember feeling a bit worried about finding my classrooms, meeting other students, and just figuring out how I would fit in. That fear subsided very quickly! Incoming students now have it even better--since 2008, incoming freshmen have been participating in Welcome Week, which helps students to make themselves at home at the University of Minnesota before classes even start

During Welcome Week, which runs from September 1 to September 6, students in the freshman class will participate in different activities including: Moving into their residence halls, attending a kick-off dinner, getting to know their college, showing their school spirit at the Pride and Spirit event, visiting the Mall of America, and much more. Through those activities, students will get acquainted with campus and the resources that are available and will also spend a lot of time getting to know other students in the freshman class--making friends and getting to know their way around before the sophomores, juniors, and seniors return to campus.

I am personally very excited for New Student Convocation, which is scheduled during Welcome Week's College Day. I will be at Mariucci Arena helping with the event and can't wait to see the entire freshman class on campus. New Student Convocation is the official welcome to the University of Minnesota and marks the beginning of students' academic careers. During the event students will hear from President Bruininks and current students and will learn about what it means to be a Golden Gopher.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home