Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Back to school

By Hilary Baril 

Yesterday was my last first day of school. I thought it was going to be different, but it turned out to be just like any other year! It was exciting to come back and see my journalism school classmates and meet all of my professors. This fall, I am taking five classes, one of which is online. Luckily, I was able to plan my schedule so that all my classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is perfect for me because then I can work and study on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays! 

Here are the courses I am taking this fall:

Visual Communication: This class is all about images. I will learn about the history of images in the media, how words and images compliment one another, and how to critique and create quality images. I am excited for our photography project in which we take multiple photographs of the same object, but emphasizing different elements each time, such as line, shadow, or color.

Basic Media Graphics: In this course, I will be learning basic graphic design techniques. We  started learning Photoshop yesterday and I had fun coloring different parts of a black and white photograph.

Cases in Strategic Planning and Thinking: In this class, I will be completing one of my senior projects--a paper and presentation analyzing an advertising or public relations campaign. My professor is one of the best in the School of Journalism and told us all about his experience in the corporate world. I am excited to hear more stories about his successful businesses.

Introduction to Entrepreneurship: I am excited to have one of my favorite teachers for this course. He tells funny stories about his life, makes an extra effort to get to know his students, and brings in a lot of excellent guest speakers. I have always dreamed about owning my own business, and in this class I will learn what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur.

Career Skills in the Professional Environment: This is the online course that I am taking. I needed a couple extra credits, and what better class to take my senior year than a career skills class!? The projects include resume writing, conducting informational interviews, and developing networking skills.

It is going to be a busy semester, but I really like all of my professors and think my classes will be challenging and fun!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home