Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Meeting Ms. Minnesota at La Familia

By Zack Haas

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to represent the University of Minnesota at La Familia, an annual Latino family festival and expo in St. Paul. 

September 2010 Events 11.jpg

During the event, I was able to meet a diverse crowd of students and families as they stopped by our booth. Carolyn Reyes, Miss Minnesota International 2010 and a 2007 alumna of the School of Journalism, also stopped by our booth. As part of her platform "Empowering our Youth," Carolyn makes appearances at various community events to encourage students to tackle the challenging problems they will face in life by teaching personal development lessons that she gained through her experiences. 

She will also be speaking at the opening session of Experience Minnesota, a multicultural event on our campus on Saturday, October 9th. (We'd love to see you there! You can sign up here.) As a student at the University of Minnesota, Carolyn was also an active participant in multicultural groups such as Student Excellence in Academics and Multiculturalism (SEAM), the Martin Luther King, Jr. Program, and the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence.

I know I'm looking forward to seeing Carolyn again at Experience Minnesota, and I hope you'll be there too!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home