Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Recreational sports at the U of M

By Zack Haas

I received an email a few weeks ago from the Department of Recreational Sports (DRS) inviting me to assemble a team for the inaugural Alumni Flag Football Tournament at TCF Bank Stadium, which got me thinking about all of the opportunities available through their department. Maybe I'm a little partial to DRS (I worked there for a year after I graduated) but if you are looking for a nice way to meet other students, get in some exercise between classes and have fun, DRS offers opportunities for students of all levels of talent.

Intramural Sports within DRS offers options for co-rec and open leagues in a multitude of sports. Whether you are just a beginner or have been playing for years, intramural sports offers excellent opportunities to have fun in both individual and team sports, from basketball to volleyball. You can even compete for the most coveted prize for all students participating in intramurals--a free championship t-shirt! 

If you are looking for competition at a highly advanced level, I suggest checking out Sport Clubs. The University of Minnesota currently offers 25 different sport clubs that allow students to compete against other colleges while also enhancing their skills through instructional sports opportunities.

While located in a large metropolitan area, there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities. The Center for Outdoor Adventure offers students the opportunity to explore their adventurous sides through trips and clinics. They even offer equipment rental and an annual gear sale for students to buy and sell their own equipment. You can also check out the bouldering walls at the Minneapolis Recreational Center and the St. Paul Gym if you are interested in learning the fundamentals of rock climbing.

If you just have some time on your hands and want to get a good workout, you can drop by the Minneapolis Recreational Center or the St. Paul Gym and utilize their state-of-the-art equipment or sign up for one of their many group exercise options. DRS also offers open swimming in the Cooke Hall pools, the natatorium, and the St. Paul Gym pools.

With almost countless ways for students to exercise on campus, the Department of Recreational Sports also offers a fantastic learning environment through their numerous employment opportunities. The Department of Recreational Sports is the largest student employer on campus and offers entry-level to advanced-level positions in all of their departments. (Such as working in the fitness center, lifeguarding, or refereeing intramural games.)

Check them out at http://www.recsports.umn.edu/!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home