Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Paint the Bridge

By Hilary Baril

The Washington Avenue Bridge connects the East Bank and West Bank of the University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus. Right above the traffic bridge, there is a pedestrian bridge where students walk back and forth between campuses, with an enclosure to protect walkers from the cold weather in the winter. 

Every fall, the Student Unions and Activities Board paints the entire indoor walkway white for an event called Paint the Bridge. Registered student groups and organizations are given the opportunity to paint advertisements on the inside of the walkway. Overnight, the bridge is transformed into a colorful array of artwork representing the many ways to get involved at the University of Minnesota. Every year I have painted for my sorority and it has been a ton of fun. I will be helping out again this year, in addition to helping with the 2010 Homecoming Committee's painting (I'm serving on the Homecoming Committee this year).

Paint the bridge 012.jpgPersian Student Organization

Paint the bridge 011.jpgFood Science and Nutrition Club

Paint the bridge 006.jpgAdmissions Ambassadors

Paint the bridge 010.jpgStudent Unions and Activities supplies the paint

Paint the bridge 004.jpg

Students hard at work!

For more information about Student Unions and Activities at the U of M, click here.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home