Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

An apple a day...

I love apples. Did you know that the Honeycrisp and Zestar! apples were developed here at the University of Minnesota? Our latest creation, the SweeTango apple, officially hit the grocery stores. The SweeTango is actually a mix between the Honeycrisp and the Zestar! with a unique flavor. Last year, very few people were lucky enough to actually try the SweeTango. This was because the first round of crops were rather small (this is normal with a new variety of apple). 

I had the opportunity to talk to one of our horticulture professors, Bud Markhart, about the production of a new apple variety. He explained that process can take up to 50 years! Hearing this really gave me a new-found respect for these delectable treasures.

This year there should be a larger number of SweeTango apples on the shelves, but they will still disappear fast. The apples were supposed to have hit the shelves in the last couple of weeks, so next time you go grocery shopping make sure that you keep an eye out for these tasty treats. I know I will! (Click here to see if SweeTango apples are available in your state.)

For more information, check out the U of M Apples website!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home