Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

CFANS freshman seminars

When I think back to registering for classes as an incoming first-year student, I remember being overwhelmed with literally thousands of course options. Luckily, my academic adviser had some tips to get me headed in the right direction. One great opportunity that my adviser encouraged me to consider were freshman seminars.

Freshmen seminars are small classes (capped at 15 students) that concentrate on developing a deep, multidementional understanding of a unique topic. These classes are taught by some of our top faculty members and are generally regarded as some of our most interesting course options. The College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) offers a number of different freshmen seminars each year. Here are a few examples of the  seminars that are being taught this year through CFANS:

CFANS 1905 - Antioxidants: How Do They Protect Your Food and Your Body?
This seminar reviews how changes take place in food and biological systems in the absence and presence of antioxidants, concentrating on what antioxidants are, how they act, and how they protect food from deterioration and the body from deteriorative changes.

CFANS 1942 - By the Harvest You Shall Live
This class looks into how human survival is dependant on "the harvest," and how human society has transformed the way that we gather food. This seminar will include field trips to hunt and gather on natural sites using 1840 technology.

BBE 1906W - Technology and Business of Bioenergy and Bioproducts
With the growing concerns about climate change and the declineof oil reserves, there has been considerable interest in renewable energy. This class looks at the vision for a bioeconomy of the 21st century. They take an integrated approach into looking at the utilization of our natural resources for not only energy, but also for products that we use such as biocomposites.

FW 1901 - Carp and Culture
The common carp is both reviled as a pest and revered as an almost mythical creature. This course explores the interactions between humans and the common carp. Along with class discussions, students will dissect carp, exercise in gyotaku (fish printing), visit the Minneapolis Institute of Art, and attend two field trips including a carp collecting trip on the Mississippi River.

Information about all of our freshman seminars can be found in the 2010-11 Freshman Seminars Handbook.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home