Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

From the classroom to the exam room

By Matt Sabongi

The summer before my senior year here at the University of Minnesota, I was able to volunteer on medical mission trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Along with 18 other U of M students, I worked for a non-profit company called VIDA Volunteer as a medical assistant traveling to underserved communities around the two countries for 20 days. Within these communities, we provided basic healthcare with the assistance of a licensed physician. We learned how to perform a basic physical examination, write patient charts and prescriptions (in Spanish), administer shots, and much more. Without a doubt this was the most rewarding experience I had as a student. I had always dreamed of what it was like to be a physician. This experience actually made that dream a reality!

This video was made by the College of Biological Sciences. Check out the photos taken by yours truly!

The group of students I traveled with were part of Minnesota Medical Leaders, a pre-medicine student group here at the University of Minnesota. If you are interested in going to medical school, I would highly recommend this group. Not interested in medical school? The University of Minnesota has tons of pre-professional organizations for students of all interests. Make sure to check out our students groups website for listings of all our student organizations.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home