Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Hockey season....finally!

I am excited to announce that the Golden Gopher men's hockey season is in full swing!

Hockey is my favorite sport to watch and play. I have had season tickets every year of college and bought them again this year. The beginning of this season has been a little inconsistent, with three wins and three losses, but I think it is going to be a successful year for our team. There are a lot of new players and a number of great seniors to lead the way.

On Sunday, I saw the Gophers beat St. Cloud State University 2 to 1. It was a close game and Mariucci Arena was surprisingly packed for a Sunday game. Mariucci Arena is one of the best hockey facilities in the nation, and Golden Gopher fans are considered by many to be the most spirited in NCAA college hockey. There are cheers and chants for just about every play, which makes for a very fun and loud game.

The games are even entertaining in between periods. The Golden Gopher cheerleading squad performs figure skating routines and of course, Goldy Gopher makes an appearance. There are various contests, such as chuck-a-puck, races, and slapshot contests. And it is always entertaining to watch the mini-mites (children's hockey teams) play a game between periods

Season tickets for students are offered at a greatly reduced price and single game tickets are usually just $15. Students get receive free t-shirts and various promotional gifts throughout the season. My favorite promotion is the Culver's Goal promotion. If the Gophers score six goals, the student section is given free Culver's custard!

It is awesome to be a part of a great tradition like University of Minnesota hockey. I can't wait to see if the team can make it to the NCAA Division 1 tournament, the Frozen Four.

Check out this video to get an inside look at Minnesota Golden Gopher hockey!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home