Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Cold weather brings winter fun to the Twin Cities

One of my favorite things about Minnesota is the seasons. I like to tell everyone that "we get the most of all the seasons in Minnesota!" As the cold moves in and the snow begins to accumulate, winter fun in Minneapolis begins to blossom.

Nestled in the heart of the Twin Cities, students at the University of Minnesota have a wide variety of winter activities at their fingertips. Here are a few of my favorite things to do during these cold Minne-snow-ta winters: In my opinion, there is no better winter pastime than ice skating. All around Minneapolis, there are great places to show off your skating skills. Only a short bus ride from campus, The Depot Rink is a historic downtown Minneapolis train station that now houses a modern, indoor rink with floor-to-ceiling glass walls showcasing views of the downtown city skyline. According to their website, The Depot was named one of the Top 10 Best Places to Ice Skate by the USA Today and MSNBC. U of M students can purchase discount tickets through the University's Student Union and Activities office in Coffman Memorial Union.

Another one of my favorite cold-weater activities is winter's answer to the Minnesota State Fair. At the end of January, the city of St.Paul gears up for one of it's biggest gatherings, the St. Paul Winter Carnival. Going on 124 years, the Winter Carnival is a celebration like no other. With events like a parade, ice maze, and dog sled rally (to name just a few) the event has activites for all ages and interests.

Both the Depot and the Winter Carnival are just a short bus ride from campus, so students can check them out on a whim!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home