Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Holiday fun in the Twin Cities

Santa.jpgThere is nothing better than the holiday season! On Monday, my sorority had its annual holiday party. We invited various people from the community and everyone dressed in red and green. We had a huge feast, a gift exchange, and sang carols. Even Santa showed up! (Well, a fraternity gentleman dressed as Santa.) It truly is the most wonderful time of the year, especially here in Minnesota with our snowy winter wonderland. There are so many great ways to enjoy the holiday season on the U of M campus and in the Twin Cities!

Holidazzle Parade
The parade has been happening since 1992 on the historic Nicollet Mall and takes place each weekend for a month before Christmas. It is a beautiful outdoor, sparkling night parade. This year's theme is "A Fairytale for All" and features various characters from all the classic fairytales. To learn more about the Holidazzle, visit http://www.holidazzle.com/

Skating
The Depot used to be a train station in downtown Minneapolis and now is home to a number of attractions including a restaurant, water park, and hotel. One of the most popular attractions at The Depot is their ice rink housed in the old train storage building. The rink is surrounded by windows with a view of the downtown skyline. And of course, there is a deal for college students: $2 on Thursdays!

Shopping
There's no better place to do your holiday shopping than at the biggest mall in the United States! Mall of America has over 400 stores and is just minutes away from the University of Minnesota campus. I will be heading there on Saturday to get all of my Christmas shopping done!

Sporting Events
The Twin Cities is a great place to live if you are a sports fan like me. Not only are there plenty of competitive sports to watch at the U of M, but also in the greater Twin Cities. I love going to professional sports games, especially during the winter to get out of the cold! It is the perfect time to go watch the Minnesota Wild NHL hockey team and the Minnesota Timberwolves NBS basketball team.

Theater and Dance
Did you know that the Twin Cities has the most theater seats per capita after New York City? There are so many great shows to attend here, especially during the holiday season. I would love to see the Minnesota Orchestra or Minnesota Chorale to hear some classic holiday tunes. My holiday season is never complete without seeing the Nutcracker Ballet, which is being performed at the State Theatre this year. Another great option would be the 36th anniversary of A Christmas Carol at the Guthrie Theater.

Outdoor Adventures
The Center of Outdoor Adventure (COA) at the University of Minnesota offers trips and clinics revolving around the great outdoors throughout the entire year. The COA provides plenty of opportunities for students to enjoy the outdoors during the winter including ski and snowboard trips. There are free Nordic ski trips for the entire month of December on the University's golf course. There is also a weekend trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for cross-country skiing, dog sledding, and snow shoeing.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home