Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Study abroad in Riviera Maya over winter break

I'm a true Midwesterner, and enjoy the winter months. I love skiing, ice fishing, the works. I love the changing seasons, snowy holidays, and the breathtaking landscape. But when mid-February arrives, I can't help but think about how nice it would be to be sitting on a beach somewhere...just for a couple of days. I'm sure many of you are currently feeling the same way! 

If you're craving a winter escape, the University of Minnesota has study abroad opportunities for you to do just that! Many U of M students spend their winter break studying abroad in warmer climates, immersing themselves in new cultures, and earning college credit. One example is a study abroad seminar called "Riviera Maya: It's Land. It's People."

During the seminar, "students visit ancient Maya archaeological sites of Chichen Itza, Tulum, and Coba, learn about Indigenous worldviews of the environment, participate in seminars on environmental sustainability, learn about local eco-systems and water quality, and explore the Yucatan's fringe reef system, lagoons, and caves (cenotes)."

It sounds like a fantastic way to spend winter break to me! Check out the class blog to see pictures of the students' experiences along with many interesting stories. (Be sure to take a look at the photo of the group in the underground cave. Amazing!)

Apply Visit Ask Us Home