Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

National Merit Scholar Spotlight: Yefei Jin

Yefei Jin Headshot resized for email.JPG

Name: Yefei Jin
Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Major(s): Theatre and Asian Languages & Literatures
Year in School: Junior, Class of 2012

Colleges and universities he considered: As a high school senior, Yefei's top choices for college included the University of Minnesota, the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, Hope College, and Yale University.

Why he chose the U of M:
"I chose the University of Minnesota for its prime location in a metropolitan area and the abundance of opportunities provided by its thriving artistic community. After visiting the campus, I discovered the strong academic and creative connections the university had with the local community. As a student pursuing the mechanisms for creating social change, the combination of service learning projects and academic rigor made the University of Minnesota the best choice for me."

How Yefei is involved at the U of M:
"I'm currently involved in multiple creative projects as well as student groups on campus, both of which motivate my academics and career goals. I'm in the process of writing a play for my senior project next year, called 'Atsumori in San Francisco.' As a student playwright, director, and actor, I've performed original pieces on campus for open audiences and student groups. As a board member of the Korean Student Association, I also seek to engage with the multicultural student body on campus. And finally, this summer, I will also be serving first year students as an Orientation Leader."

The highlight of his U of M experience so far:
"My U of M experience has taken me beyond what I could ever have imagined. My experiences on and off campus in theatre, education, and leadership development have been absolutely inspiring. I owe much of my passion to peers and faculty for offering me the support and insight for my creative development. At this point in my collegiate career, I have secured a strong mission statement along with the tools to challenge injustices."

His advice to future U of M students:
"Join organizations!!! Here you will find not the students who think like you, but those with similar passions. Some of these students will be your lifelong peers. As you pursue your interests, important relationships will form and with collaborating in student organizations, prepare to be amazed at how much you can learn!"

Apply Visit Ask Us Home