Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Spring Jam 2011

This weekend is Spring Jam, one of my favorite times of the year at the University of Minnesota. Spring Jam is an annual campus-wide music festival and is one of the U of M's biggest events of the year. There are concerts, competitions, and a variety of special events put on by Student Unions and Activities to celebrate the warm weather and the end of the school year. Here is what I'm especially looking forward to this week:

Service Project - From noon until 5 p.m. on Thursday there will be a community service opportunity to package meals for Kids Against Hunger. It is a local non-profit organization that provides meals for children and their families in the Twin Cities.

Trampled by Turtles concert - On Thursday night Trampled by Turtles is performing in the Animal Arena on the St. Paul campus. This must-see folk band was founded in Duluth, Minnesota, and has been entertaining crowds across the country for eight years. I'm excited to check-out this local band.

Ballyhoo - Ballyhoo is an annual dance competition between the Greek chapters. Greek chapters perform choreographed dances and are judged on their variety of dance styles, costume, use of theme, music, and more. I am excited to see my sorority sisters perform a Lady Gaga-inspired dance that they have been practicing for months!

Outdoor movie night - On Friday night, there will be an outdoor movie theater set up on Coffman Memorial Union's front plaza. There will be music played by a Beatles tribute band to go along with the Beatles inspired movie, Across the Universe.

Battle of the Bands - On Saturday afternoon, student bands will compete to be the opening band for the headliner concert that evening. Bands are allowed to play a 15 minute set and will be judged on sound, stage presence, and spirit. The number of musically talented people here at the University is amazing!

OK GO - After years of being a fan, I am excited to finally see OK GO live! Their famous treadmill dance is enough to get me to go to the show. The concert will close out a week of good music and fun.  

Visit the Spring Jam website for a full listing of events happening this week and to learn more about Spring Jam.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home