Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Get Fit at the University Recreational Center

Now that warm and beautiful summer days have arrived on campus, students who have decided to stay on or near campus for the summer are excited to enjoy the great outdoors. Because of this, many students at the University of Minnesota choose to join Intramural Sports Leagues through our Department of Recreational Sports. Intramural Leagues provide opportunities for individuals, partners and team competitions in a wide variety of sports. Participants may create their own teams or join individually. If you're an incoming freshman, you may want to consider joining a team or forming your own with the people who will live around you next fall. It's a great way to get to know other students and get involved on campus!

Summer registration just began for outdoor soccer and softball, and registration for fall sports will open later in the year. There are many options for fall intramural sports, including flag football, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, and volleyball. I have never joined an intramural team, but I have heard how much fun it can be from all the people I know who have joined. A group of my friends formed a softball team this past spring, and they were undefeated throughout the entire season!

I highly encourage joining an intramural team, but if you are looking for a different way to stay fit on campus, University Recreational Center offers much more. Its specialized sports leagues include the University Athletic Hockey League and the Golf League. In addition, the Recreational Center is a premiere venue for Court Sports such as handball and racquetball. These courts are always being used, whether its by competitive player or beginners. Group Fitness classes are another popular activity at the Recreational Center. If you purchase a FitPass, you can take part in an entire semesters' worth of dance, strength, spin, yoga or any other of the many classes that are offered.  

Construction on the expansion of the Recreational Center has already begun, and will be completed in fall 2013. The exciting additions will include an elevated track, a cycling studio, an expanded fitness center, a center for outdoor adventure, and much more. 

Now that you have some information on how to stay fit and have fun at the University of Minnesota, it's time to go out and play. I hope you enjoy your summer days!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home