One of my favorite things to do in the summer is listen to great music outside and enjoy the sun. This is the season for great concerts featuring amazing bands. Luckily, The Summer Music Festival at Northrop (SMFN) is brought to campus by Northrop Concerts and Lectures each year! The SMFN is a free summer concert series that features popular local bands as well as U of M student bands. By going to any of the events that are offered at Northrop, students and visitors have the chance to see some of the best musicians in the Twin Cities, right here on campus.
Listed below is an overview of some of the events. I know I will be going to at least a few of these concerts! Visit the Northrop Memorial Auditorium website for more information on these and other events. With a line-up filled with all different types of music, you're bound to find something you love at Northrop this summer.
- Friday Night Live (July 15): The biggest blow-out event, featuring the hottest names in Twin Cities hip hop with Sims from Doomtree and Bight Club.
- First Ave: TOO MUCH LOVE on Campus (Dates vary): Featuring beats from DJ Sovietpanda from this popular dance party.
- Movies and Music (Dates vary): The night begins with a concert, and ends with a movie on Coffman Plaza.
- Noon Concerts (Dates vary): The historic hallmark concerts held on the Northrop Plaza for a refreshing mid-day break.
- Flash Mob: A surprise performance with a chance to win a free iPod Touch.
- Northern Spark (June 4): Chris Kallmyer's kick-off concert of the all-night arts festival on the Mississippi River Flats.
- Voices Merging Summer Open Mic (July 29): The U of M student spoken word group's Summer Open Mic.
- St. Paul Concerts (Dates vary): Presented by Student Unions & Activities. U of M students perform over the lunch hour at the St. Paul Student Center Garden Terrace.