Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Weisman Art Museum: Reopened! (Video)

Hello! I hope you are all enjoying the wonderful fall weather. Over the beautiful weekend of October 2, 2011, the Weisman Art Museum reopened after being closed for an entire year. The closure was due to a $14-million remodeling project, and is now open once again to the public.

The modern art museum is located on the East Bank of the Minneapolis campus here at the University of Minnesota. It is easily spotted on campus because of its metal walls that reflect the waves of the Mississippi. The museum was designed by architect Frank Gehry, and his design for the Weisman Art Museum won him a prestigious Progressive Architecture Design Award in 1991.

I had the chance to visit with a few of my friends last week, and we had a blast! I was blown away at the sight of the many unique art pieces that are displayed throughout the musuem. I was also interested in the Weisman art rental program. For only $12 per semester, students and faculty can rent a framed piece of artwork! I may have to take advantage of this amazing deal next semester to decorate my room.

After the renovations, the museum now features more skylights and twice as much gallery space as before. I encourage you to visit the beautiful U of M campus soon to check it out. The art is extremely impressive, and with weather this perfect and the turning colors of the leaves, the University of Minnesota is more artistically inspiring than ever.

View the video below for more information about the Weisman Art Museum, which was recently featured on kstp.com.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home