Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

National Merit Scholar Spotlight: Yefei Jin

Yefei Jin (below), is a National Merit Scholar from Michigan who chose to study at the U of M because of the great academics and opportunities he discovered on and off campus. Yefei has shared his experiences and advice for future U of M students, which you can read below!

Meet Yefei, and learn more about his experience at the University of Minnesota:

Yefei Jin Headshot.jpg
Name: Yefei Jin

Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Major(s): Theatre and Asian Languages & Literatures

Year in School: Senior, Class of 2012

Why he chose the U of M: 
"I chose the University of Minnesota for its prime location in a metropolitan area and the abundance of opportunities provided by its thriving artistic community. After visiting the campus, I discovered the strong academic and creative connections the university had with the local community. As a student pursuing the mechanisms for creating social change, the combination of service learning projects and academic rigor made the University of Minnesota the best choice for me."

How Yefei is involved at the U of M: 
"I'm currently involved in multiple creative projects as well as student groups on campus, both of which motivate my academics and career goals. I recently wrote a play for my senior project, called 'Atsumori in San Francisco.' As a student playwright, director, and actor, I've performed these original pieces on campus for open audiences and student groups. This past summer, I was an Orientation Leader, helping incoming students transition into college life. I'm also involved in multicultural Greek life in which I work with other talented leaders in bringing voice to communities on and off campus.

The highlight of his U of M experience so far: 
"My U of M experience has taken me beyond what I could ever have imagined. My experiences on and off campus in theatre, education, and leadership development have been absolutely inspiring. I owe much of my passion to peers and faculty for offering me the support and insight for my creative development. At this point in my collegiate career, I have secured a strong mission statement along with the tools to challenge injustices."

His advice to future U of M students: 
"Join organizations!!! Here you will find not the students who think like you, but those with similar passions. Some of these students will be your lifelong peers. As you pursue your interests, important relationships will form and with collaborating in student organizations, prepare to be amazed at how much you can learn!"

Apply Visit Ask Us Home