Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

U of M student Grant Remmen receives prestigious Hertz Fellowship Award

Grant Remmen is a National Merit Scholar who has been heavily involved in undergraduate research since he was a freshman attending the University of Minnesota. Grant has recently been awarded a prestigious Hertz Fellowship to support his future graduate studies. Considered to be the nation's most prestigious and generous support for graduate education in applied sciences and engineering, the Hertz Fellowship is valued at more than $250,000 per student, with support lasting up to five years.

Remmen will graduate summa cum laude from the University of Minnesota's College of Science and Engineering this spring and will begin graduate school this fall in pursuit of his Ph.D. Read on to get an inside look at Grant's experience at the University of Minnesota:

grant remmen.jpg

Name: Grant Remmen
Hometown: Detroit Lakes, MN
Majors:
Astrophysics, physics, and mathematics
Year of graduation: 2012

- Which U of M experiences have prepared you the most for your future?

"The U of M offers a plethora of undergraduate research opportunities. The ability to delve into research starting in my freshman year and continuing throughout my undergraduate studies at the U of M has well prepared me for success in graduate school and a career in science."

-  What have been the highlights of your time at the U of M? 

"There have been many academic highlights to my time at the U of M. Because of my undergraduate research at the U of M, I was presented with many awards. A few of the awards I have received include:

• Goldwater Scholarship
  • American Astronomical Society Chambliss Medal for exemplary research
  • University College London Dean's International Student Scholarship
  • Hertz Fellowship for graduate school
  • National Science Foundation Fellowship for graduate school

"A major highlight from my time at the U of M was a May Session study abroad experience in Italy, studying the work of Galileo and Leonardo daVinci. Spending a month in Florence and Rome allowed me to gain unforgettable experiences in getting to know a new culture and become globally engaged.

"My research experiences at the U of M have also been major highlights of my undergraduate education. Working with the University of Minnesota's world-class faculty, I have been able to conduct research on the Milky Way's dark matter, black holes, and even engage in Hubble Space Telescope research on Eta Carinae, a massive star system. These experiences have prepared me to excel in my graduate studies and my future career as a physicist."

- Can you comment on your interactions with your U of M professors? 

"Undergraduate research has allowed me the opportunity of working closely with remarkable faculty members at the University of Minnesota. By delving into current research problems with the University's leading investigators, students are able to develop connections with faculty outside of classes; the mentorship of University of Minnesota faculty has been a key component in preparing me for success."

- Would you recommend the U of M to high school students, and why?

"I would enthusiastically recommend the University of Minnesota to prospective students. At the U of M, you will find challenging academics, engaging professors, and cutting-edge research opportunities, which will well prepare you to excel in a career or in graduate school."

Apply Visit Ask Us Home