Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

A Gopher Goes To Hollywood

will ferrell.jpg

This summer, I have not only been working as the Communications Intern here at the Office of Admissions, but I have also been interning at Allied-THA, a film promotions company in the Twin Cities.

Back in June I was partnered with another Allied intern (and recent U of M graduate), Brianna Morel, to compete in a nation-wide contest. For the contest, two interns from every Allied office (23 total) worked to promote the upcoming film "The Campaign" in the most effective and creative ways. The prize was a trip to Hollywood, CA, to attend the premiere of the movie. The film, starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis, is a comedy about two politicians--Marty Huggins and Cam Brady--competing for positions in Congress.

Our promotional adventures included holding up Cam Brady signs at a Twins Game and getting on the big screen (3 times!); distributing promotional materials to restaurants and shops around Dinkytown; hanging up posters on campus; handing out shirts at the Minnesota Aquatennial; staging a "protest" on Nicollet Ave downtown; visiting The Dave Ryan in the Morning Show in the KDWB studio; and holding promotional banners over Interstate 394 during rush hour.

Our hard work paid off! During a conference call with fellow competitors, Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis told us we had won the contest and would be flown to Hollywood! One week later, I was on my way to Hollywood. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a fellow U of M graduate named Lisa, who works at the Allied office in Los Angeles as the Warner Bros. publicist.

We explored the city including the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame, and the world famous Grauman's Chinese Theater, where we attended the premiere of The Campaign. We also stayed at the amazing Lowes Hollywood Hotel and had the opportunity to tour Warner Brothers Studios where we walked on the set of True Blood, Heart of Dixie, and Pretty Little Liars.

I have dreamed of going to a Hollywood movie premiere since I was a little girl, and I have been watching Will Ferrell since he was a Spartan cheerleader on Saturday Night Live. This experience was one I definitely would not have had without everything I've learned and all the opportunities that I've had as a student the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, and the amazing internship possibilities that come along with living in a major metropolitan area like Minneapolis. Dreams do come true!

hollywood photo.jpeg

Apply Visit Ask Us Home