Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

"I Bid You Adieu" - A farewell from your Gopher Tales summer blogger

What? It's the end of summer! How did this happen?!? Sadly, I guess it's my time to say farewell as your Gopher student blogger. 

Throughout the summer I've had the opportunity to work closely with amazing colleagues that have taught me about about good work ethic, teamwork, and dedication (especially to all things maroon and gold). I have never been more proud to be a University of Minnesota student as I have been this summer. Seeing high school students touring campus (and giving my very first campus tour!) brought back the excitement that I had just four years ago when I first stepped foot on Gopher territory.

I could give you a plethora of advice as you embark on your college journey, but instead I will stick to a few essential bits of advice to help you succeed as a student...

1) Never take anything for granted. Every class you have and every person you meet will shape you over the course of the next four years. Some of my closest friends today are people who I thought I had nothing in common with. Friends are like leaves, some fall away and some stay on the branch, but either way, the more you rake up, the more fun you will have! (Who doesn't love jumping into leaf piles? Right?)

2) Take pictures. I feel like someone told me this just yesterday as I began my college career, but college goes by way too fast! Take it from a soon-to-be-graduating senior who feels like she just moved to the U of M. (At least I'll always have this great photo of my Welcome Week experience!)

LOW RES- presentation and internet only 1.jpg

3) Take advantage of your surroundings. Step away from the screen you're looking at (only after you have read the rest of this post...obviously) and remind yourself that you're in the Twin Cities! Anything you could ever want is at your fingertips! Go to the zoo, go to a Twins game, sip coffee on West Bank of campus, shop until you drop at the Mall of America, rent paddleboards on Lake Calhoun, and so much more! Students at the U of M truly have a great location to take advantage of. 

4) Always remember that dreams DO come true! This summer I lived my dream by going to a movie premiere in Hollywood, California. The U of M has given me infinite opportunities to grow as a student, a young adult, and a working professional. Take advantage of these opportunities. Whether it be through extracurricular clubs, internships, or volunteer positions, the U of M has the resources and opportunities that can help you achieve your goals and dreams too! 

5) Most importantly... don't spend all your Flexdine at Starbucks! Your funds will dwindle faster than you can say "orange mocha Frapuccino." But seriously, live like a college student now so that you won't have to later. There are many free and discounted opportunities for fun on and off campus, so you can have fun and not break the bank.

With that said, I will give you a digital tip-of-the-hat and hope that your college career unfolds as beautifully as mine did.

Ski-U-Mah!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home