Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us

Ever had an interest sea life, oceans, or ecosystems? We have the minor for you! The College of Biological Sciences has recently created a minor for Marine Biology. This new Marine Biology minor highlights the concepts of oceanography, sustainable use, and marine ecology using an intercollegiate curriculum.

What is unique about this minor is that the coursework is not restricted to the classroom or laboratory, but greatly emphasizes field trips, study abroad experiences, and internship opportunities in order to foster learning. Upon completion of this minor, students will have acquired the skills and knowledge "that will enrich their lives and provide a base for subsequent study in marine sciences."

A minor is a great way to enrich your education and learn more about a subject you are interested in. Minors can also help expand your knowledge on a specific area that also supplements your major. The University of Minnesota has over 110 minors that cover a large variety of subject areas.

For more information on the new Marine Biology minor, please visit http://www.cbs.umn.edu/students/cbs-minors/marine-biology. For information on our other minors, please visit http://www.catalogs.umn.edu/ug/. As always, visiting our campus and meeting with one of our admissions counselors is one of the best ways to get first-hand information about the U of M. To schedule a campus visit, please go to http://z.umn.edu/campusvisit.

One of the aspects I appreciate most about the University of Minnesota is its focus on preparing students for "the real world"--life after college. For example, the Carlson School of Management emphasizes group projects because teamwork is crucial in the business world. Every class I've taken within Carlson has contained some sort of group project. The team presentations and papers professors assign in my classes have helped me develop a skill set of communication, leadership, and organizational skills. These skills, along with understanding how to work in a group dynamic, are all very applicable to future careers and are exactly what employers are looking for when hiring college graduates. I've already been able to leverage my experiences with these group projects by talking about them in internship interviews for companies like Target and Kohl's!

Another way that I've been able to prepare myself for my future career is through taking advantages of the vast career services offered at the U of M. Every different college within the U of M has their own career services office. Since I'm a business student enrolled in Carlson School of Management, I frequent the Undergraduate Business Career Center (UBCC). The UBCC offers awesome services like resume reviews, mock interviews, workshops, an online job and internship searching system, and more. The list is nearly endless! When I filled out my first job application that required a resume during my freshman year, at first I felt completely lost. I had no idea where to begin! However, I used the UBCC career coaches as a resource to help me put my first resume together and they were so helpful. I definitely wouldn't have had such a professional, well-written resume if it weren't for the UBCC's resume review services. (By the way, I got the job!)

In a nutshell, U of M sends students off into "the real world" with countless opportunities, knowledge, and skills. It's just another reason to be filled with Gopher pride.

Name: Alexander Sprenger
Portrait.jpg
Hometown: East Troy, Wisconsin

Majors: Finance and International Business

Year of expected graduation: 2016

Why he chose the U of M: The U of M has all the exciting opportunities of a large university, but also closer circles of support. Also, I liked the opportunities offered by the Carlson School of Management, especially with the Twin Cities being such a vibrant center of business.

How he is involved at the U of M: I am an officer in the International Business Association and a member of the Investment and Finance Organization. I also play in the University Pep Band.

Highlight of his U of M experience so far: Going to my first ever Golden Gopher football game.

His advice to high school seniors: Don't be afraid to talk to your parents and counselors about the college search process. Talking about it with others is a good way to de-stress. Find out as much as you can, especially with a college visit, but don't worry too much. You're not alone in this process!

Name: Eliza Grames

Picking Tangelos.jpgHometown: Esko, Minnesota

Majors: Professional Strategic Communication, Communication Studies, & Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management

Year of Expected Graduation: 2013

Why she chose the U of M: Eliza shares her main reasons for choosing the University of Minnesota: "The first was that it is located in the heart of the Twin Cities which means there is always something going on and plenty of job and internship opportunities. The second was the University Honors Program which opened up opportunities for smaller class sizes and involvement with faculty."

How she is involved at the U of M: I've been playing on the University of Minnesota Quizbowl Team for four years and served as the President of the team for two years. In my time with the team, I've developed friendships, traveled across the country for tournaments, gained leadership experience, and connected to other on-campus activities through Student Unions and Activities.

I also serve as an officer for an environmental student group on campus for students who are passionate about climate change issues. Our goal is to work with the University to transition away from fossil fuel dependency by raising awareness of climate change issues and leading a divestment campaign.

On-campus employment has also been valuable in connecting me to the University of Minnesota. I got to know one of my professors in the Department of Forest Resources through class, and she offered me a job doing communications for a branch of University of Minnesota Extension. In my position, I interact with professionals across the state, which helps to put a perspective on how valuable my time at the University of Minnesota is and how it can serve as a stepping stone for me to achieve my goals.

Highlight of her U of M experience so far: As I near graduation, I've been working on my honors thesis research project on climate-induced migration in Northwest Alaska. The experience has helped me to explore topics I'm interested in, gain confidence in my research and writing abilities, and develop relationships with professors in my field. I think that when I look back on my experience at the University of Minnesota, I'll remember the day-to-day aspects of student life and hanging out with friends, but what will stick out most is my thesis project because it's helping to shape my life goals and future plans.

Her advice to high school seniors: Don't decide what you want to major in right away. Look around and discover what is interesting to you, because if you study what you're interested in, your college experience will be more rewarding. You'll be excited to go to classes, you'll enjoy your internship experiences, and you'll be good at what you do because you'll love the topic that you're studying.

Name: Sheri Li

Sheri.jpg Hometown: Woodbury, MN

Major(s): Neuroscience

Year of expected graduation: 2016

Why she chose the U of M: It's funny, because I actually ruled out Minnesota at first because it was too close to home for me. In the end, I realized how much I love the campus. The great thing about college is that you can make it as close or as far away from home as you want it to be. Also, I love the Twin Cities! The University is located minutes from downtown Minneapolis, and is very close to St. Paul. Not only does this make an exciting environment, but it also brings a lot of companies to the University as well. The deciding factor for me was the wonderful opportunities that the University offered me and other National Merit Scholars. You simply can't get a better deal at a better school.

How she is involved at the U of M: So far I am involved in the Honors program, a student group called "U Students Like Good Food," and am involved in Admissions Ambassadors. I love how I get to express my interests here at the University. I'm a total food geek, yet no one really knew until I joined a club full of others who were passionate about the same things as me.

Highlight of her U of M experience so far: The hockey games! If you are a hockey fan, you'd love these. If you aren't a hockey fan, you'll still love these.

What? It's the end of summer! How did this happen?!? Sadly, I guess it's my time to say farewell as your Gopher student blogger. 

Throughout the summer I've had the opportunity to work closely with amazing colleagues that have taught me about about good work ethic, teamwork, and dedication (especially to all things maroon and gold). I have never been more proud to be a University of Minnesota student as I have been this summer. Seeing high school students touring campus (and giving my very first campus tour!) brought back the excitement that I had just four years ago when I first stepped foot on Gopher territory.

I could give you a plethora of advice as you embark on your college journey, but instead I will stick to a few essential bits of advice to help you succeed as a student...

1) Never take anything for granted. Every class you have and every person you meet will shape you over the course of the next four years. Some of my closest friends today are people who I thought I had nothing in common with. Friends are like leaves, some fall away and some stay on the branch, but either way, the more you rake up, the more fun you will have! (Who doesn't love jumping into leaf piles? Right?)

2) Take pictures. I feel like someone told me this just yesterday as I began my college career, but college goes by way too fast! Take it from a soon-to-be-graduating senior who feels like she just moved to the U of M. (At least I'll always have this great photo of my Welcome Week experience!)

LOW RES- presentation and internet only 1.jpg

3) Take advantage of your surroundings. Step away from the screen you're looking at (only after you have read the rest of this post...obviously) and remind yourself that you're in the Twin Cities! Anything you could ever want is at your fingertips! Go to the zoo, go to a Twins game, sip coffee on West Bank of campus, shop until you drop at the Mall of America, rent paddleboards on Lake Calhoun, and so much more! Students at the U of M truly have a great location to take advantage of. 

4) Always remember that dreams DO come true! This summer I lived my dream by going to a movie premiere in Hollywood, California. The U of M has given me infinite opportunities to grow as a student, a young adult, and a working professional. Take advantage of these opportunities. Whether it be through extracurricular clubs, internships, or volunteer positions, the U of M has the resources and opportunities that can help you achieve your goals and dreams too! 

5) Most importantly... don't spend all your Flexdine at Starbucks! Your funds will dwindle faster than you can say "orange mocha Frapuccino." But seriously, live like a college student now so that you won't have to later. There are many free and discounted opportunities for fun on and off campus, so you can have fun and not break the bank.

With that said, I will give you a digital tip-of-the-hat and hope that your college career unfolds as beautifully as mine did.

Ski-U-Mah!

CLA Photo.jpg
In today's digital age, people are continuing to trade in their flip phones for the latest and greatest smart phone on the market. Many people have returned their paperbacks to the library and are now operating Kindles, Nooks, and iPads. What makes these new devices so enticing? The wide variety of apps, of course!

In a world full of bloggers, Tweets, Facebook, and other fast-paced and technologically advanced programs, many institutions are now only a click away. If clothing stores and restaurants have apps, shouldn't art museums? 

Recently, I learned about a new course offered by the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Department of Art History, and College of Design at the U of M. The goal of the course will be to conceptualize an interactive app for the world-renowned Weisman Art Museum (WAM), which is located on the U of M east bank campus. The course will combine research, writing, design, observation, and discussion to create an exciting new app. 

I was so excited to learn about the amazing opportunity, and I signed up for the course right away. It's great to see the University constantly offering new coursework and opportunities that are following the trends of technology and society, and helping us stay ahead of the curve in our knowledge and skills. I look forward to learning a lot from this class next semester!

will ferrell.jpg

This summer, I have not only been working as the Communications Intern here at the Office of Admissions, but I have also been interning at Allied-THA, a film promotions company in the Twin Cities.

Back in June I was partnered with another Allied intern (and recent U of M graduate), Brianna Morel, to compete in a nation-wide contest. For the contest, two interns from every Allied office (23 total) worked to promote the upcoming film "The Campaign" in the most effective and creative ways. The prize was a trip to Hollywood, CA, to attend the premiere of the movie. The film, starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis, is a comedy about two politicians--Marty Huggins and Cam Brady--competing for positions in Congress.

Our promotional adventures included holding up Cam Brady signs at a Twins Game and getting on the big screen (3 times!); distributing promotional materials to restaurants and shops around Dinkytown; hanging up posters on campus; handing out shirts at the Minnesota Aquatennial; staging a "protest" on Nicollet Ave downtown; visiting The Dave Ryan in the Morning Show in the KDWB studio; and holding promotional banners over Interstate 394 during rush hour.

Our hard work paid off! During a conference call with fellow competitors, Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis told us we had won the contest and would be flown to Hollywood! One week later, I was on my way to Hollywood. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a fellow U of M graduate named Lisa, who works at the Allied office in Los Angeles as the Warner Bros. publicist.

We explored the city including the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame, and the world famous Grauman's Chinese Theater, where we attended the premiere of The Campaign. We also stayed at the amazing Lowes Hollywood Hotel and had the opportunity to tour Warner Brothers Studios where we walked on the set of True Blood, Heart of Dixie, and Pretty Little Liars.

I have dreamed of going to a Hollywood movie premiere since I was a little girl, and I have been watching Will Ferrell since he was a Spartan cheerleader on Saturday Night Live. This experience was one I definitely would not have had without everything I've learned and all the opportunities that I've had as a student the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, and the amazing internship possibilities that come along with living in a major metropolitan area like Minneapolis. Dreams do come true!

hollywood photo.jpeg

Join us for a College of Liberal Arts Sneak Preview this summer and get an inside look at the University of Minnesota! 

Summer Sneak Previews are designed especially for future freshmen and their families, to give you the opportunity to learn more about the great academics and opportunities at the U of M. 

At a College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Sneak Preview, you will hear from current College of Liberal Arts students about their college experiences, meet faculty and staff, and attend a freshmen seminar. An optional tour of our historic Big Ten campus and state-of-the-art classrooms and facilities will be offered at the end of the day.

College of Liberal Arts Sneak Previews

July 27 and August 3

9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

RSVP Now!

Whether you're interested in the social sciences, arts, humanities, and natural sciences--CLA offers 60 majors for you to choose from, in a variety of interest areas. U of M students also have access to a wide selection of great opportunities to enhance their experience both in and out of the classroom, including undergraduate research opportunities, study abroad, career services and more!  Learn more about these great academics and opportunities at a CLA Sneak Preview this summer.

To RSVP for a College of Liberal Arts Sneak Preview, 

please visit http://z.umn.edu/sneakpreview

or call our VISITLINE at 612-625-0000 or 1-800-752-0000.

_2498099026.jpg

Join us for a College of Design Sneak Preview this summer and get an inside look at the University of Minnesota! 

If you are interested in the fields of architecture, landscape design and planning, graphic design, interior design, apparel design, retail merchandising, or housing studies, we invite you to come check out one of these exciting events!

Architecture and Landscape Design & Planning Sneak Preview

Monday, August 6, 2012

1:00-5:00 p.m.

RSVP now

Design, Housing Studies,  & Retail Merchandising Sneak Preview

Monday, August 13, 2012

1:00-5:00 p.m.

RSVP now

The College of Design is an emerging national and international leader in creative production and multidisciplinary research in a wide variety of design fields. At the Sneak Preview, you will learn about our programs, tour our beautiful campus, and meet some of our professors, students, and staff.

To RSVP for a College of Design Sneak Preview, 

please visit http://z.umn.edu/sneakpreview

We hope to see you on campus soon for one of these exciting events!

_1262057904.jpg

Apply Visit Ask Us Home