myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Wintertime as a Gopher

Maybe it's because I'm a January baby, but I absolutely love winter in Minnesota. The snow is just gorgeous, and gives campus an whole different feel from the greens and oranges of spring and fall. Yes, the walk to class is a bit brisker, but the campus connectors are nice and toasty!

Despite the frigid air, U of M students do not hibernate during the winter months! There is plenty to do during the winter both on and off campus. Many students stay warm inside by watching movies at Coffman as part of the Gophers After Dark program. This weekend is showing a personal favorite of mine--the second Twilight movie! Several student organizations also host social events during the winter. The Carlson Ambassadors are hosting our annual Chocolate Indulgence this Friday, which I am so excited for! Additionally, the basketball and hockey teams are in the midst of their competitive conference seasons, and many students seize the opportunity to cheer on the Gophers at Mariucci and the barn. Some of my friends and I have season tickets for men's hockey, and I am a big Tubby Smith fan. Needless to say I've been wearing a lot of maroon and gold this winter!!

A favorite off-campus winter attraction is Rice Park in St. Paul where many students enjoy ice skating, as well as the beautiful ice sculptures and lights. Local ski hills also become a popular destination. Of course, the many local cafes and coffee shops on and around campus are full of students enjoying the warm atmosphere and taking time to catch up with friends or get ahead on homework.  Speaking of enjoying a warm atmosphere and homework, I believe there is a latte in Hanson Hall's Starbucks with my name on it!