myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Back on Campus!

It's hard to believe it's already fall on campus! It seems as if everyone is excited to be back and share their stories of summer. Many students passed the summer months working, completing internships, visiting family back home, or traveling abroad to take classes or complete internships.

I spent my summer at an internship where my office was literally a zoo. I worked as a marketing and public relations intern at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory in Saint Paul. I had the opportunity to write many press releases, interact with media, manage social networking sites, and write and appear in television promotions for the zoo. I also planned one of Saint Paul's annual events that has more than 5,000 attendees. I especially loved this internship because I love animals. The experience helped me see how fun it is to work in a field related to one of my passions. My most memorable day was the day where, after writing a press release about a new baby giraffe at the zoo, I had the chance to meet the giraffe in person and feed him out of my hand--it was an unforgettable experience! Needless to say, I loved this internship and Como Zoo will never be quite the same place to me.

Many students find their internships to be fulfilling in that they either love the company or field they are working in, or they learn they might fit better in another work environment or field of study. Either way, summer internships provide a great experience, learning opportunity, and step into the work world. 

It's sure to be a busy and fun fall. Classes are off to a good start and the Gophers have their first home football game this Saturday. It's going to be a great semester!