myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Adventures in the Twin Cites

Hello! My name is Nathan Mueting, and I will be joining the blogging team here at Carlson! I'm a little new to this, but hopefully you'll like what you read! A little bit about me, I am a senior this year majoring in operations/supply chain management and minoring in economics, and with any luck I'll pass all my classes and graduate in May. I am originally from Sheldon, Iowa, a town of about 5,000 people. It was a little bit of a change coming to a school where the freshman class is bigger than my hometown! But that is one thing I love about the U of M, though, with so many people on campus and around the cities, there is always something to do. 

Even though I grew up in Iowa, I have always been a Twins fan (might be due to the fact that I am a twin...), and I have definitely taken advantage of being only a short bus ride away from the new Target Field. The Twins, along with most of the professional sports teams in Minnesota, have student nights with discounted tickets. It's great to take a break from school work and go to a game with some friends.

Another thing I like about living in the Cities is the food! There are so many restaurants to try, it can be difficult to choose at times. There are great ones right around campus and one of my favorites is Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown. With only 14 stools in the entire restaurant, you might have to wait for a seat, but it is worth it (try the blueberry walnut pancakes)! I also recommend Cafe Latte on Grand Avenue in St. Paul; they have the best desserts in the Twin Cities. Although it is tough to break away from my favorites, it is great to be able to try so many different restaurants.

And after eating so much, what is better to do than to spend some time outside! The Mississippi River goes right through campus and there are bike trails along both sides-Minneapolis was named the number one city for biking! It's great to ride your bike or go running along the river or around one of the lakes nearby. It's also fun to rent a canoe on Lake Calhoun or walk around the park at Minnehaha Falls.

This weekend I am going to a corn maze with some friends then to a concert at First Avenue--there are great concerts almost every weekend! I'll also probably have to make time to do some homework, not my first choice of activities, but I do want to pass my classes.