myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Career Skills (BA3000)

Hi everyone!  I'm Eric White and I'm a sophomore here at the Carlson School.  I'm here to tell you all a little more about a class called BA3000.  Now you may be wondering what BA3000 is, and that's a fair question.  BA3000 is a 1 credit class devoted to teaching Carlson students (generally sophomores) some very valuable career skills.  BA3000 is required for all students in Carlson (and for good reason!).  During the first day of one of my classes this term (where the class was made up of predominantly juniors), my professor asked "what's been the most practical class you've taken so far?"  One student said "probably BA3000" and his statement was met with many murmurs of agreement.  If I had to put a number on it, I would say about half of our class voted that BA3000 was the most practical class they'd taken to date, and that's saying something.

This career skills class exposes students to the many different resources around Carlson (and trust me, there are lots).  Everything students need to know about resumes, cover letters, recruiting, company research, networking, interviewing, and using The Edge (Carlson's online recruiting system used to get internships and full-time job offers) is covered in this class.  Assignments each week involve useful tasks that all students will eventually need to do, such as creating/refining their resume, conducting an informational interview with a professional, discovering how to use The Edge properly, and researching a company in preparation for an interview.  Another bonus is that BA3000 provides a safe environment to make mistakes and then learn from them without any major consequences (so those same mistakes won't cost you the job offer later on).

The instructors of BA3000 are all staff members at Carlson; they range from being Academic Advisors to Career Coaches to Faculty.  Your instructor for this class can really become a marvelous resource and ally.  My instructor's name is Sarah Oehler and she is a Career Coach at the Undergraduate Business Career Center in Hanson Hall.  I had been struggling earlier this year, trying to discover what major and career path fit best with my interests and personality.  I voiced this concern with Sarah and she gave me access to some career assessments and then asked me to schedule an appointment to go over the results with her.  She went through the results of my career assessments with me, helped me interpret them, and then, most importantly, gave me the next steps to take in discovering my career path and major.  Like I said before, your instructor for this class can be a great ally and source of knowledge for you when you are taking the steps to discover your future career.

In my opinion, the two most important assignments in this class are the Resume Assignment and the Edge Assignment.  The resume assignment is exactly what you think it is:  writing a resume!  Although this may seem simple, a resume is the first thing (and sometimes the only thing) that recruiters see of you when deciding whether or not to offer you an interview.  Sloppy resumes have cost many students offers throughout the years.  This assignment gives students the opportunity to look through examples of good and bad resumes, correct misconceptions about resumes, and create their own resume that looks nice and portrays themselves well.  I have many friends who came into college with resumes that looked like they were written in about 5 minutes.  After completing this assignment, their resumes now look clean, concise, and professional.  The other assignment I mentioned, The Edge Assignment, exposes students to one of the greatest tools they will encounter in their whole college career.  Carlson's online recruiting system (The Edge) provides an easy way for students to sign up for career-based events, get in contact with recruiters and alumni, and search and apply for internships and full-time jobs.  Almost all of the students I know who have gotten internships and full time job offers discovered and applied for the positions using The Edge.  Knowing how to use it properly is absolutely necessary when looking for internships and full-time jobs.

As you can see, BA3000 is a course that provides valuable tips and opportunities to all Carlson students.  Not only is it a fun class where you'll meet tons of new people, but it also provides practical knowledge that will benefit you throughout your 4 years at Carlson.