myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Final projects have been presented, term papers written, and exams taken. It's finally winter break, the time of the academic year where students get to relax for a month, enjoy some home cooked meals, and have someone else do their laundry (if you are so lucky). It's a time to catch up on your sleep and reconnect with friends from home. If you happen to be around the Twin Cities during break, you may just find yourself to be almost as busy as you are during the school year with all of the fun things to do!

Before you and your friends go your separate ways for break, you absolutely must take a trip down to Nicollet Mall for the Holidazzle Parade and Macy's Holiday Show. Holidazzle is a holiday parade of lights, featuring holiday and fairytale themed floats (The Princess and the Pea is my personal favorite). It runs in the evenings on the weekends starting Thanksgiving weekend. For all of you who aren't fans of cold weather, don't worry-- the parade is under 30 minutes. After the parade, be sure to head over to Macy's (to warm up, if nothing else) and head up to the 8th floor to see the Holiday Show. Believe me, nothing will get you in the holiday spirit like a trip to Holidazzle!

If you are an outdoors person, or if you simply enjoy playing in the snow, you're in luck and will have plenty to do this winter! Many kids have already taken advantage of the Twin Cities' recent 17 inches of snow and are out skiing, sledding, and making snow forts and snowmen. My friends and I are planning a ski excursion to one of the ski areas in the Twin Cities, as well as a skating trip to Rice Park in St. Paul before classes start again.

If staying inside where it's warm is more your style, enjoy some of the great indoor experiences the Twin Cities has to offer. On Saturday I'll be at the Walker Art Museum for the British Advertising Awards (a little optional side trip for one of my marketing classes). I'm looking forward to an hour of entertainment while viewing some of Britain's best commercials of the year! Another one of my favorite indoor winter activities is Omnifest at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Starting at the beginning of January, the museum shows its most popular films from the year before. This year I'm most excited for the Tropical Rainforest and Wild Safari films. And of course, if you're on campus be sure to cheer on the Gopher basketball and hockey teams-- Go Gophers!

I hope you all enjoy your time off this winter, and wish you all a warm and relaxing holiday season!