myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

My I-Core Experience

Hi everyone, it's Eric again! In case you don't remember I'm a sophomore here at the Carlson School.  Today I'm going to tell you about the Immersion Core (or I-Core, for short) that every Carlson student will take. I-Core is a block of 4 fundamental classes: Finance, Marketing, Operations Management, and Strategic Management. I-Core is generally taken spring semester of your sophomore year (I am currently right in the middle of it!). It's a really important semester since the four classes of I-Core are considered a foundation for the rest of your time here at Carlson.

I-Core is taken with a cohort of fellow Carlson students. In other words, you will have all four classes of I-Core with the same group of students. For me, it's been a great way to meet people and really get to know them. When you're in a class with the same group of students two or three hours a day, five days a week, you're bound to make some good friends!

A lot of people wonder why the four classes of I-Core are taken as a block, which is a good question. Believe it or not, there are several good reasons why! The first is that there is a fair bit of crossover between the classes, reinforcing some of the critical concepts that are important to all four classes. The second reason is, as I mentioned earlier, the friendships and relationships you build with other students. The next reason relates to group work (which you'll have plenty of in I-Core!). You'll have to trust me on this one: scheduling a time to meet is a LOT easier when all the students in your group are on a very similar schedule. One final bonus of I-Core is that the teachers coordinate schedules with one another, so they can assure that you never have two I-Core-related tests in one day, which is very nice.

I've found I-Core has been helpful to me in quite a few ways. First, it has challenged me to focus even more than I already have been and make sure I am managing my time extremely well. It's certainly a challenging semester, but I've found that the challenging semesters are the ones you look back on most fondly. Next, it has given me the chance to meet many new people that I wouldn't have gotten the chance to meet otherwise. Many of the students I met earlier this semester are now really good friends of mine. I-Core also helped me decide which major was right for me. Having four important business classes in one semester really helps you to compare some different areas and narrow your focus on what you genuinely like and what you're good at. For me, that area was Finance.

All in all, I-Core is a challenging and fun experience where you get to explore the foundational areas of business, meet new friends, and learn a bit more about yourself.